How-to Scalix 11.4.6 And BES Express 5.0.1

Discuss Scalix Connect for Blackberry Enterprise Server and use of BlackBerry devices with Scalix.
cdonovan

Re: How-to Scalix 11.4.6 And BES Express 5.0.1

Postby cdonovan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:18 pm

Then, wothout SSO, do you have any idea why I would be getting this message when it tries to login using the CDO library ???

user-signon
time 1282597621 Mon Aug 23 17:07:01 2010 -240
user-agent-id Outlook 11.0.8325.0 - Scalix Connect for Blackberry Enterprise Server 1.0.1.9246
client-type 0 unlicensed
client-ip 174.113.43.200
user 0 Chris Donovan/ 60536 60536
mboxadmin-authenticator 99 /
signon-status 655

Any direction would be appreciated... Do you have a test BES server which you could try an IEMSTest on my server ?? I know that is beyond the 'call of duty' but I'm getting desperate...

Chris

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:22 am

Hi Chris,
I am very sorry you're experiencing so many problems.
I think the most reasonable to approach this login issue is to ask Scalix's support team (if you have purchased a license you certainly have some support points to spend): it's my (very personal) opinion that the problem stays on Scalix's server side (maybe something related to the application of the license key ?).

Nevertheless I'd suggest one very last try even if it may appear meaningless:
  • Open your SAC console
  • Locate and delete your Besadmin account
  • While being in SAC recreate it and assign your password. This way the account has NOT mboxadmin capabilities yet.
  • Switch to a command terminal window on your scalix server and run :

Code: Select all

ommodu -o besadmin/<scalixnode> -c +mboxadmin
    where <scalixnode> has to be replaced with the name of your primary mail node
  • Rerun IEMTest

I know this may appear totally fool ... but I recall I did exactly like that for some reason.

I would be pleased to do a remote IEMStest for you if I only had a dummy BES box : unfortunately I have not.

arsenet

Postby arsenet » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:26 am

You see client-type 0 unlicensed? is the user a premium user?
What type of license of scalix you have?
Red Hat Enterprise 5.0
Scalix Hosted Edition 11.46
David de Pedro, Thecnical
ArSeNet Servicios en Internet, S.L.
sat@arsenet.com

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:41 am

Arsenet is totally right. You have to check that *all* target mailboxes you want to enable BlackBerry on are of type Premium. This is mandatory: Scalix Connect for BES works only against Premium mailboxes.

cdonovan

Postby cdonovan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks to the two of you. I have tried re-creating the account and Yes, the users are Premium. I have re-checked with my Scalix rep that my license is good for BES. I agree, it's something at server level and Yes, have support points...
My rep told me "NO support for BES Express", Only BES 5.0 and BPS. She said "not until 11.5 is released"! They've been talking abount 11.5 for over two years!!

cdonovan

Postby cdonovan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:08 pm

WOW, I tried ONE more thing... I built a test server using a temporary license key from Scalix and guess what?? Here are my IEMSTest results...

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Utility - IEMSTest.exe (IExchangeManageStore), Version 1.0
Copyright (c) Research In Motion, Ltd. 1999. All rights reserved.
Opening Default Message Store Mailbox - BESAdmin
{BESAdmin@vpnetworks.ca} Unable to find user in AD
Chris Donovan: Opening message store using
Chris Donovan /test/cn=Chris\ Donovan
/o=test.vpnetworks.ca/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=test.vpnetworks.ca/cn=Microsoft Private MDB
Chris Donovan: Mailbox opened successfully
Chris Donovan: Root Folder opened successfully
Chris Donovan: Folder created successfully
Chris Donovan: Test folder deleted successfully
Chris Donovan: MAPI test completed successfully
Chris Donovan: CDO Server Name: test.vpnetworks.ca
Chris Donovan: CDO Mailbox DN: Chris Donovan /test/cn=Chris\ Donovan
Chris Donovan: CDO logon successful
Chris Donovan: Get default calendar folder successful
Chris Donovan: Get calendar folder name successful: 'Calendar'
Chris Donovan: CDO test completed successfully
Chris Donovan: Failed to check Active Directory for Send As permissions (80070057)

ALL GOOD!!

So, yes, you're right!! It's my server! But where to look??? License ???

Just to settle up with the forum... Baldboys' HOWTO is PERFECT. It works!! And many thanks...

SInce this IS a server issue, I may be able to spend some points and get Scalix support to help me!

Any suggestions??

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Wow ... that's great news eventually.

I think you should focus your attention on that "client-type 0 unlicensed" : I am pretty sure it's something related to your license.

sbroeer

Postby sbroeer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:10 am

Hi to all,

I followed step by step the post from BaldBoy and now I'm at the point where I have to enter the license information for BES. After i do that there comes up a window where I can see the sername and the mailboxname. But when I click on "Test Name" I get a message "Setup can't connect to the Microsoft Exchange Server".

Instead of the name I also tried the ip-adress of our scalix-server, but it's the same. The ip-adress and name of our scalix can be resolved via ping.

Has anybody an idea where our problem is ???

nlindq

Postby nlindq » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:43 pm

BaldBoy wrote:Webdesktop - AD Integration yet to fix
Managing and binding of devices to users is beyond the scope of this writing. Nevertheless you should know that binding can be performed by an Administrator (using webconsole) or by users' themselves using Webdesktop (they have to be previously imported into BES using Webconsole).
However if your users authenticate using AD (which is by default in BES for Exchange) you'll find that they can not log in. The reason is this: BES AD connector looks for legacyExchangeDN attribute to be valued in AD for the authenticating user but if you do not have Exchange installed ... you do not have this attribute valued. Most likely, if you're reading this, you have Scalix, not Exchange.
I am working on it ... maybe a script populating proper attributes from Scalix's schema will do the trick.

Have you made any progress on this front? We have everything set up running successfully as per your How-To (thanks again for that, BTW) but we have one recalcitrant device that the "Enterprise Activation" service book keeps disappearing from, despite having exactly the same plan as all our other perfectly functioning devices. Rogers suggested that we should try an "over the wire" BES activation using the Web Desktop Manager, but of course we can't log in due to the issue you've mentioned above.

Any further information on this would be greatly appreciated!

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi nlindq,
unfortunately I am stuck at the point "What to write in legacyExchangeDN attribute" (did not spend much time over it indeed).

However you can easily bypass this as there is no need to grant webdesktop access to users. Simply use webconsole by the means of Besadmin credentials.

Follow these steps (for wired activation)
  • Unsing IE (only Internet Explorer) Access webconsole with besadmin: while you login an activex control is dropped to your session to monitor attached devices
  • If you have not already done this, create the user you to assign the device to.
  • Connect the miniusb cable of the BB device and plug it in your pc's usb port
  • After a few seconds, in webconsole, expand the node "Attached devices": you should be able to see the PIN of the attached BB
  • Click on the item and select "Assign device to user": if everything is ok then you should see the initial syncing process on the device.

A word of experience: before doing this it should be better to factory-reset the BB device or, at least, be sure it has no BIS profiles active.

Let me know.

Bye.

nlindq

Postby nlindq » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:39 pm

Thanks very much! That's very useful to know.

As it turns out there was some wacky software conflict on the device, and after a factory wipe a wireless activation worked fine.

However, since then I've done two device upgrades for users using the method you described. It worked great!

AdrianChapman

Postby AdrianChapman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:11 am

nlindq wrote:As it turns out there was some wacky software conflict on the device, and after a factory wipe a wireless activation worked fine.

I've had one or two devices where even that's not been sufficient - there's an app called JL-Cmder out there which _totally_ blitzes the handset, requiring an OS re-install. NOTHING will survive that... <grin>
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move
Mobility - Messaging - Infrastructure - Security - Remote Access

Fingers crossed for Scalix having a strong future!

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:02 am

sbroeer wrote:Hi to all,

I followed step by step the post from BaldBoy and now I'm at the point where I have to enter the license information for BES. After i do that there comes up a window where I can see the sername and the mailboxname. But when I click on "Test Name" I get a message "Setup can't connect to the Microsoft Exchange Server".

Instead of the name I also tried the ip-adress of our scalix-server, but it's the same. The ip-adress and name of our scalix can be resolved via ping.

Has anybody an idea where our problem is ???

Simply skip all connection tests. Do an IEMSTest after everything has been installed.

Return to “Scalix Connect for Blackberry Enterprise Server”