smtpmilter. Will there be any documentation????

Discuss the Scalix Server software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

smtpmilter. Will there be any documentation????

Postby les » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:58 pm

I keep seeing on the forums things like "SMTPFILTER is deprecated, you should use SMTPMILTER instead". Most recently...http://www.scalix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15803&p=65344&hilit=smtpmilter#p65344

So SMTPMILTER is documented for Commtouch products in the smtpd.cfg file. But what about everyone else who wants to use amavis/postfix/spamassassin/clamav etc? Currently we all use SMTPFILTER and it works fine to filter via sendmail.

Given that one day SMTPFILTER will disappear (Assumption based on the fact that its deprecated) when will we see some supporting documentation to use other milters like amavis-milter, clamav-milter or spamass-milter or similar?

I'm assuming that the syntax is largely the same, but i'd like to see some formal documentation and/or example configs either on the wiki or docs.

Is this going to happen? and when is it likely that SMTPFILTER will be removed?

I've asked this before and there hasn't been any real official stance on this. Will Scalix officially support using milters like amavs-milter with SMTPMILTER in the future?
Regards,

Les Stott

Xlot

Re: smtpmilter. Will there be any documentation????

Postby Xlot » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:36 pm

G'day Les :mrgreen:

Interesting - I didn't realise it was tricky - I've been running Amavisd-new, SA, sendmail with scalix via the SMTPMILTER for a while now - possibly a year or so. (edit: just checked - since Nov 2008)

I'll have a look at the various config files and put something up on the wiki - wasn't too hard to figure it all out if I recall. I haven't contributed to the wiki since my page on changing LDAP ports, so about time I did something useful. Funny how when stuff (scalix) just works, I get distracted by other stuff!

I'll add a post with the link to the wiki page shortly.

Xlot

Postby Xlot » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Ok, I did some digging through my config files, and as far as I can see, only a couple of minor variations from the standard amavisd-new filter-based install.

I've updated the Amavisd Howto wiki page with a new section. Can someone with a working amavisd-new configuration try it and make sure I haven't missed anything? (make backups of your sendmail.mc and smtpd.conf files first please!)

http://www.scalix.com/wiki/index.php?title=HowTos/Amavisd#Changing_communication_to_use_SMTPMILTER

Don't shoot me if I missed somethig vital - I haven't touched this stuff in well over a year :) I popped in here today to do a search on whether anyone's started using spamassassin 3.3.0 and spotted this thread.

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby les » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:47 am

Xlot wrote:Ok, I did some digging through my config files, and as far as I can see, only a couple of minor variations from the standard amavisd-new filter-based install.

I've updated the Amavisd Howto wiki page with a new section. Can someone with a working amavisd-new configuration try it and make sure I haven't missed anything? (make backups of your sendmail.mc and smtpd.conf files first please!)

http://www.scalix.com/wiki/index.php?title=HowTos/Amavisd#Changing_communication_to_use_SMTPMILTER

Don't shoot me if I missed somethig vital - I haven't touched this stuff in well over a year :) I popped in here today to do a search on whether anyone's started using spamassassin 3.3.0 and spotted this thread.

thanks for doing that. As you said its not too tricky but a few things needed to be tweaked. I was really hoping there would be some "offical" documentation somewhere and if you've been using since Nov 2008 then there should have been something official done by now.

In the article should (at the bottom)..... "And voila - now sendmail just passes incoming mail to scalix, and scalix calls the amavisd-milter socket" read something like....

"And voila - now scalix just passes incoming mail to the amavisd-milter socket, which in turn, after scanning, hands it back to Scalix to deliver locally except if mail is destined for an external address where scalix will hadn it off to sendmail to deliver."

i could be wrong, but thats how i understand it should work.....

p.s. some of my sites have had there spamssassin auto upgrade to 3.3.1 and there hasn't been any issues.
Regards,

Les Stott

Xlot

Postby Xlot » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:05 am

les wrote:In the article should (at the bottom)..... "And voila - now sendmail just passes incoming mail to scalix, and scalix calls the amavisd-milter socket" read something like....

"And voila - now scalix just passes incoming mail to the amavisd-milter socket, which in turn, after scanning, hands it back to Scalix to deliver locally except if mail is destined for an external address where scalix will hadn it off to sendmail to deliver."

p.s. some of my sites have had there spamssassin auto upgrade to 3.3.1 and there hasn't been any issues.

You're correct - the mail path is as you describe. ust go ahead and change the wording, what's what Wiki's are for :)

I've also provided a couple of new links to the amavisd-milter and init.d scripts as the links further up the page were broken (don't have the Suse one's, but at least the Centos/Redhat ones are back).

Did you try out using the SMTPMILTER on a test boxen?

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby les » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Xlot wrote:
les wrote:In the article should (at the bottom)..... "And voila - now sendmail just passes incoming mail to scalix, and scalix calls the amavisd-milter socket" read something like....

You're correct - the mail path is as you describe. ust go ahead and change the wording, what's what Wiki's are for :)

I've also provided a couple of new links to the amavisd-milter and init.d scripts as the links further up the page were broken (don't have the Suse one's, but at least the Centos/Redhat ones are back).

Did you try out using the SMTPMILTER on a test boxen?

Haven't had a chance as yet. You know the story....too much to do....too little time. ;)

Thanks for the update.
Regards,

Les Stott

Return to “Scalix Server”