Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby tvinhas » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:34 pm

Any news??

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby Valerion » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:38 am

It will be announced here when released. But I suspect it's a while away, there's another release before that one.

tvinhas

Postby tvinhas » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:20 am

Yeah, but no roadmap or estimates? Scalix is the only product I know that there is no roadmap or estimate release dates...

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:28 am

They have estimated in the past and if they don't meet the date...everyone is angry. While it would be nice to know, I would rather be surprised.

tvinhas

Postby tvinhas » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:47 pm

That's why Project Management exists... if they have a better management, it wouldn't be so hard to provide accurate estimates...

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:34 pm

tvinhas wrote:That's why Project Management exists... if they have a better management, it wouldn't be so hard to provide accurate estimates...

I'm sure you'll get a response from Scalix now...

smpoole7

Postby smpoole7 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:49 pm

tvinhas wrote:That's why Project Management exists... if they have a better management, it wouldn't be so hard to provide accurate estimates...

You have great faith in Project Management (capitalized, I assume, out of reverence). I am impressed.

If I had a dollar for every time a Managed Project (ibid) failed to meet a schedule, I could take all of us out for a nice dinner.

Scalix works. It's a good product. Its bugs are minor and easy to deal with. I can wait for a new version.

-- Stephen :)

pandreas21

Postby pandreas21 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:49 pm

Get in contact with a partner and they will be able to provide you with the roadmap.

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:43 pm

:-) first of all, happy holidays.

Scalix 11.5 is our next functional release, it'll have some interesting new stuff, some of which i've mentioned, and it'll be ready when it's fully baked, probably sometime early next year, i.e. Q1.

The more interesting question to those who're asking ... what specifically are you looking for in that product? I agree with a previous comment - 11.4.x (now .6) is a highly stable and reliable product covering a wide range of needs. We've added lots of stability and new stuff - mostly in mobility - over the last year, so IMHO most customers should be quite happy with our performance.

In terms of roadmap, I agree that in principle having something like this would be 'nice' - however, this is a very dynamic playing field, we're working in all kinds of directions and for some experimental things it's always unclear how long it takes to get them together - so much for project management: the estimates I get from dev vary by the day, so in the meantime I've made this an opportunity rather than an issue and simply accept variance as a fact of live in software development. So.... we do our work, once stuff get's near-ready we see if it's enough to fit a release together, then we do some welding, and off we go.

With the exception of a few things some people are specifically waiting for, this seems to create the most happiness.

What's certainly in for the next round:
- Tasks/Todos in SWA
- Safari/Webkit Support in SWA
- Paging in SWA - more efficient loading/filtering/large folder management
- new archiving functionality.
- better integrated hosting and delegated administration
- free/busy v2.0 working with caldav and activesync and bes devices
- generally improved calendar interop
- sles11 support

and maybe.... a few more surprises.

I'm using 11.5 as we speak, and I'm pretty happy with it.....

Cheers, have a good run into the new year, and stay tuned,
Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

mmas

Postby mmas » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:08 am

Hi Florian,
I'm excited about scalix 11.5. I hope will be released as soon as possibile :wink:

A question... What about upgrade? Can we upgrade from 11.4.6 or previous release for free? Any news about license or premium users?

And any news about new emails notification? Like taskbar tab flashing...

Thanks !

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:24 am

:-) Well, it's obviously in our best interest to get it out... once we're happy with it.

Upgrade policy as always - no change for Community Edition, for commercial (EE/SBE/HE) users you'll have to have an active subscription (Software Maintenance) that expires on or after the "official" release date of 11.5 (which will likely be 2010-01-31 or so, independent of when it actually comes out). You can check your current subscription end date by looking at the LVID line of sxlicense command output. For customers with active subscription, we make no difference between patch releases like 11.4.x or major or minor full releases like 11.5 or 12.0.

Also, in-place upgrade will be possible for fully supported platforms, it's much easier than the server move Microsoft requires when upgrading to a future Exchange release.

No change for new email notification at this time, but certainly something on the to-do list for sometime.

Florian.

elliot01

Postby elliot01 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:11 pm

I love Scalix.
CentOS v5.3, Scalix v11.4.6 Community Edition, 300+ users

sgreen

Postby sgreen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:48 pm

Outlook 2010 support would be nice, lots of bigwigs already are wanting to use the beta.
Or the holy grail for making them leave me alone, connectorless outlook support would be ideal.

For me I would rather see faster deletes, or just a omdelu that clears the userlist and the pdls first before deleting any userfiles.

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:24 am

Outlook 2010 support is something our MAPI team is looking into based on the Beta at this time; no rocket science, but lots of small changes. Availability of this with initial 11.5 will depend on 2010 GA availability (MSFT tend to change things relevant for us between Beta and final, was the same for 2K7) and our exact schedule, if not it'll be a high prio item thereafter. Connectorless Outlook is more a Scalix 12 topic.

omdelu behavior has changed with 11.4.5 - see https://bugzilla.scalix.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20140 - did you notice the difference?

Florian.

RSisco

Postby RSisco » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:10 pm

florian wrote:Connectorless Outlook is more a Scalix 12 topic.

So does that mean:

A. "That is too big of a change to implement on a minor version change"

Or

B. "We are already working on this feature for Scalix 12"

Thanks.

Richard
I have officially quit using Scalix, but continue to visit the forums
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scalix Server 11.4.6.13676
Scalix Connect 11.4.6.9214
SWA 11.4.6.12377
Outlook 2007