Connector for Thunderbird

Best practice information from Scalix users relating to integration of Scalix with other products.

Moderator: ScalixSupport

Beaujolais

Re: Connector for Thunderbird

Postby Beaujolais » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:14 pm

Another vote here for Thunderbird connector :wink:

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:45 am

Hm,

what in particular are you voting for, i.e. what usecases need to be covered and are missing? When this thread was started, the Scalix CalDAV server wasn't available yet, so calenaring is now covered and T"bird itself doesn't have much more to offer, does it?

Tx,
Florian
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

sla

Postby sla » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:19 am

florian wrote:what in particular are you voting for, i.e. what usecases need to be covered and are missing?

I'm not Beaujolais but I would like to see a thunderbird extension that would allow me to:

* Configure auto-away notifications
* Configure email rules (scalix rules assistant)
* mount other users mailboxes into my mailbox-tree
* configure access-rights to my mailbox

(well basically everything that the outlook connector does compared to outlook / imap)

--
sla

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:23 am

And who is going to add all the missing Outlook base functionality to T'Bird? :-)

As an example, Scalix uses standard IMAP ACLs to manage folder rights - so if T'Bird supported those, you would be able to setup shared folders.....

The Outlook Connector has about 150 man years of development time in it. Outlook is infinitely more powerful than T'Bird.

Most of the Rules/OoO stuff is available web-based, independent of client, direct URL is http://<servername>/Scalix/rw

Cheers,
Florian

sla

Postby sla » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:21 pm

florian wrote:As an example, Scalix uses standard IMAP ACLs to manage folder rights -
so if T'Bird supported those, you would be able to setup shared folders.....

Interesting. I didn't know that. There is a very old bug open at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=207628
but noone seems to be working on it.

Is there any client that implements those ACLs good enough?

The Outlook Connector has about 150 man years of development time in it. Outlook is infinitely more powerful than T'Bird.

Which is not a reason not to strive for an alternative. You know - Exchange has much much more man years of
development time in it and still we're talking about scalix ;)

Most of the Rules/OoO stuff is available web-based, independent of client, direct URL is http://<servername>/Scalix/rw

Yeah - but that is not something I could explain to my users. If OTOH the "scalix plugin" for TB would include a menu item that
would open the web-based rules wizard in an Browser window that would be fine.

(Don't get me wrong - a tb plugin is not something I expect to come out of caldera - I'm just listing things that I think
would help non-outlook deployments).

--
sla

Beaujolais

Postby Beaujolais » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:50 pm

florian wrote:Hm,

what in particular are you voting for, i.e. what usecases need to be covered and are missing? When this thread was started, the Scalix CalDAV server wasn't available yet, so calenaring is now covered and T"bird itself doesn't have much more to offer, does it?

Tx,
Florian

Indeed, calendaring is resolved now. However, from basic functionality I'd like to see editable contacts.
That would satisfy the basic needs for Thunderbird (in my opinion).

For advanced and all other features there's Outlook but that's windows only.

I've tried connector for Evolution many times, but it's far from usable state (even svn). Is there a chance we'll see some effort spend on enhancing Evolution plugin?

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:02 pm

well, as to my best understanding, TBird doesn't provide any clean interface for editable contacts; sure, we could invent our own sync, but I think the logic would imply that the TBird people should follow some at least semi-established standard like CardDAV....

Just my 0,02. We don't want to rewrite their client.

Florian

Beaujolais

Postby Beaujolais » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:32 am

Does Scalix support CardDAV now? Or when is the support expected?

I've found one CardDAV plugin for Thinderbird ...http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sharing_address_books#Sogo
and would love to try it knowing how to configure CardDAV on Scalix?

Thanks

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:15 pm

No support for CardDAV yet - although it would be our preferred way going forward.

Problem is that there hasn't been big pickup for the standard. :-(

Florian.

jplorier

Postby jplorier » Tue May 11, 2010 10:51 am

Hi Florian,

I'm also interested in a real alternative to outlook. I've been trying to get TB and Evolution to work more integrated with scalix, but so far I've only been able to get contacts running in evolution through ldap. TB seems to get them (i can download for offline use) but I never get any contacts on screen (both o=Scalix or 0=MyContacts).
Evolution connector is not really there (at least for me) as I've been trying to compile it with fedora and suse and I always get more trouble than solutions.
I don't know how both evolution and TB community relates to other projects like yours, but maybe Scalix can make an effort to engage a development relationship with one of them so there can be some functionality of scalix outlook connector implemented into the client you choose just to get a real outlook alternative.
Just my opinion :)

Return to “Third Party Integration”