Connector for Thunderbird

Best practice information from Scalix users relating to integration of Scalix with other products.

Moderator: ScalixSupport

jryden

Re: Connector for Thunderbird

Postby jryden » Mon May 21, 2007 11:47 am

dboreham wrote:
jryden wrote:It's not entirely clear to me exactly what you are trying to get Thunderbird to do. Most of the stuff we miss when using Thunderbird is all aspects of the Calendar integration, editing your own calendar, viewing shared folders and calendars, setting permissions on mail folders and calendars, free/busy scheduling, filtering rules editing / out of office setting. If you can get those implemented somehow I'd almost be willing to kiss you, though maybe a monetary donation to your project would be more appropriate :wink:

IMHO the way to do this would be to add CalDAV support to Scalix, and use
the CalDAV client support already present in Lightning. This also would allow the
use of other fat clients (Apple iCal, Evolution for example).

CalDAV seems to be the wave of the future so that sounds good to me. There's still the issue with setting permissions on folders and calendars, at least in Thunderbird proper (I don't know if Lightning using CalDAV allows you to share out your calendar or how fine grained the access controls at your disposal through Cal DAV are). Same thing with server-side rules and Out Of Office settings, those are missed in Thunderbird as well.

Hibbelharry

Postby Hibbelharry » Tue May 22, 2007 10:23 am

Hey People,
I would also like to see Thunderbird better integrated to Scalix. Beeing able to sync addressbooks from clients to Server is my biggest headache with Thunderbird for our company. I have some little programming experience and at least some virtual machines as a playground. But until now i never looked at the mozilla plugin architecture, but i'm willing to help as far as time let's me do this.

As far as i know this is no part of caldav if i'm right. I still new to this new standard. So I ask: the best way to sync adresses would be using the http api for this on the server side ?

dboreham
Scalix
Scalix

Postby dboreham » Wed May 23, 2007 11:57 am

Hibbelharry wrote:Hey People,
I would also like to see Thunderbird better integrated to Scalix. Beeing able to sync addressbooks from clients to Server is my biggest headache with Thunderbird for our company. I have some little programming experience and at least some virtual machines as a playground. But until now i never looked at the mozilla plugin architecture, but i'm willing to help as far as time let's me do this.

As far as i know this is no part of caldav if i'm right. I still new to this new standard. So I ask: the best way to sync adresses would be using the http api for this on the server side ?

The contact part of CalDAV is called CardDAV. So far I don't see CardDAV support
in T'bird, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is added soon. Of course we'd need support
in Scalix too.

It _should_ be possible to create an LDAP address book profile in T'bird that points at
the user's personal contacts. That would be read-only though.

lsilva

Postby lsilva » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:21 am

Is this project kicked off already?

I have experience on Extension development for Firefox and Tbird. Is there anything in place for the development of the Tbird connector?

Cheers

Luis

theklaus

Postby theklaus » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:51 am

Hi!

Just to say:
We are also interested in a connector for Thunderbird.

best regards
Klaus

SoftDux

Postby SoftDux » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:30 am

I'd like to vote for CalDAV too, which would allow iCal support :)

dirkfries

Postby dirkfries » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:57 am

We have some cumstomers that are pretty much interested in Scalix, but they use Thunderbird for Mac. If there would be way the could use Thunderbird as a complete Scalix client, they would use Scalix asap.

Greetz Dirk

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:05 pm

CalDAV support will be included in the next version, Scalix 11.3, which we are currently planning for December. This will then support both Lightning and Apple's own iCal.app.

Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

ilexius

Address Book

Postby ilexius » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:14 pm

As Scalix will support CalDav in 10.3, what about an address book connector?

If there is nothing planned we will start to develop a Thunderbird storage provider for addresses.

Our Lightning connector development was discontinued. we will wait and check CalDav support first.

There isn't a possibility to view and edit the scalix address book folder already?

Cheers,
Sebastian

ilexius GmbH, http://www.ilexius.de

kool_kid

Postby kool_kid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:44 am

hey whats the status of project, looking forward to use the connector would be a great addon for scalix.

ilexius

Postby ilexius » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:45 am

Before we start to develop an address book connector for Thunderbird:

Could anyone from the Scalix team please confirm that no read/write Address Book support for Thunderbird and Scalix 11.3 is planned?

cgitzlaff

Postby cgitzlaff » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:18 pm

I was just on the phone with Scalix - renewing. I had a few questions - the rep I spoke to was excellent. I was told that they are planning three new releases for 2008. Tentatively, for release 11.5, they plan DAV access to all Scalix objects (notes, contacts, etc...). Of course, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of 11.3 for CalDAV.

majx

Reuse some code from "Sync Kolab"

Postby majx » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:47 pm

hi

maybe you want to reuse some code from the Sync Kolab-project (a thunderbird-add-on)
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/519

You won't be able to use all of it - but at least some smaller parts could provide some ideas

the code itself is double-licensed under Mozilla and GPL

paulj

Postby paulj » Sat May 17, 2008 8:14 am

great idea!!!
is the project still alive? how's the status?

Hiob86

Re: Connector for Thunderbird

Postby Hiob86 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:22 am

any News???
Last edited by Hiob86 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Third Party Integration”