blackberry server a mini howto

Best practice information from Scalix users relating to integration of Scalix with other products.

Moderator: ScalixSupport

billmcanhelp

blackberry server a mini howto

Postby billmcanhelp » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:36 pm

after upgrading a windoze server to linux and scalix I decovered that bes wasnt supported so I bought a old server and threw the 2003 small busness licence on it.
the old server was reformated with fedora so no real licence issue i called microsuck and told them the old drive was wasted so they gave me a new key

install 2003 fresh and name the dom something other than your dom like mine.loc
install 2003 exchange

add only your blackberry users to the 2003 server set thier emails to the .loc adderss

download and install pop beamer (129.00)a utility for auto download messages from scalix.

set up each blackberry user as a imap client in popbeamer (pop makes everybodys messages read already) fill in the login info and set the mailbox to the local exchange one

I set up a exhange rule to delete mail from the exchange server after 60 days so
the mailbox doesnt get too big

now point he exchange dns to your dns server not the one on windoze and set scalix as your smart host (so all mail from the blackberrys bounce off the scalix server and local people can get thier mail on the same dom

install blackberry bes on the box and set up your black berry users

from the users computer go to profiles and make a newone for exchange pointing to the bes box

from the desktop manager 4.1 set the security settings for the remote to manual then set the profle to prompt when starting (it is easire later if you do this)

close desktop manager
restart it and pick the profile for exhange it will use any auth for the windoz box now generate a new secuity key and let the blackberry update its profile
set the profile to default to the scalix one again
restart the desktop manager if you want to sync with the desktop contacts and things

start popbeamer server

check your bes you should see the pin of the blackberry now and the user should be getting mail

from the blackberry send a email it goes to the bes box --> out to scalix and then on its way

the only downside is wireless calender and contacts dont work and things sent from the blackberry dont end up on scalix until you sync local

this is much cheaper to do than use notify fro blackberrys and since i allready had the software and licencing might as well use it

cdclark

Postby cdclark » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:05 pm

Thanks for the writeup.

Can you explain what the benefit is in going this route? If you're not getting the PIM sync capability out of BES I don't see any major benefit besides immediate delivery on the BB. I guess you could argue better remote device control.

In my setup I use BIS to schedule imap connections directly to the scalix server. Incoming messages are polled at a 15 minute interval (I can't change that, that's how RIM's BIS works, period), but outgoing messages ARE synced to scalix, as well as deletions (they end up in the trash folder in scalix).

I'm in the same boat with regards to Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Notes which means I still have to tether to sync that (or use notify, or funambol).

BaldBoy

Re: blackberry server a mini howto

Postby BaldBoy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:08 am

after upgrading a windoze server to linux and scalix I decovered that bes wasnt supported

Well ... that's not completely true: if you mean RIM do not consider Scalix as compatible you might be right but consider they also do not consider it as not-compatible.

For instance you can set up a BES Express for free (max 1000 users) with the only fee required by Scalix : Scalix Connect For BES. You'll have a complete sync'ed environment (Mail, Contacts, Calendar).

Here you can find the How-to: http://www.scalix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17560

Return to “Third Party Integration”