create an archive of all incoming/outoging emails

Best practice information from Scalix users relating to integration of Scalix with other products.

Moderator: ScalixSupport

chrisdebono

create an archive of all incoming/outoging emails

Postby chrisdebono » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:24 am

is it possible to automatically bcc each outgoing/incoming email to an account for archival purposes?

Regards

Chris

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Re: create an archive of all incoming/outoging emails

Postby les » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:14 am

chrisdebono wrote:is it possible to automatically bcc each outgoing/incoming email to an account for archival purposes?

Regards

Chris

This will do it for you.

The undocumented feature to archive is achieved by adding:

archive=bcc:name@domain.com

in your in /var/opt/scalix/sys/general.cfg file, then restart the archive server by typing:

omoff -d0 archiver
omon archiver

Now, any mail sent from a Scalix user, whether internal or external, will automatically get bcc'ed to name@domain.com. The archive address could be either an external or scalix mailbox. Caution is advised as the mailbox will like get very large very quickly.
Regards,

Les Stott

burhankhalid

Postby burhankhalid » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:56 am

Another caution, if the you let the mailbox get very large (I forgot the exact size, but I believe its 2GB) OR if the that mailbox gets corrupted, then delivery to all your other email addresses will stop (I ran into this problem), because the system cannot deliver to the bcc: address, it will stop delivery to the rest.

I ran into this problem and spent 8 hours rebuilding the email store from scratch for the archive user, so be warned!

p.remmele

Postby p.remmele » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:16 am

hi there,

burhankhalid can you tell me the scalix version you had this problem?
I'am going to archive my emails, too but if this problem is still there in beta2 i have to search for another way to backup the mails.

with regards,
patrik
your password does not work? Please talk to the B.O.F.H you trust..

hindog

Postby hindog » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:11 pm

My mail that is received locally is correctly archived, however mail that is sent to an external domain does not seem to be archived.

I *am* using postfix as a front-end MTA to scalix, so I am not using regular sendmail, but instead postfix's sendmail. Could this be the cause of this? All postfix is doing is handing the email off to Scalix which is running on localhost:26, so it doesn't seem like it should be a factor.

Aaron

JasonLeighWarren

Postby JasonLeighWarren » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi Chris,
Thank you for initiating the thread and which I find could be of great benefit for small enterprises. If the above procedure is followed and all outgoing/incoming email are bcc to an external email address,what archival tool and process would you recommend for say a small company of 60 "heavy users".
Best Regards,
Jason.

pharoh

Postby pharoh » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:48 pm

I have done as instructed but after stopping and starting the archive service I am not getting emails to the bcc address. do I have to stop and start scalix?

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:19 am

It may be best to restart Scalix.

I believe you need to restart the Service Router, as it doesn't by default direct messages to the Archive Server.

mikevl
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby mikevl » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:27 am

Hi

does you general.cfg look a bit like this

Code: Select all

ARCHIVE=TRUE
ARCHIVE=bcc:archive@yourserverdomain.com

Mike

stubbs100

Email Archiving

Postby stubbs100 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:30 am

If you want a solution which takes care of archiving all emails in and out of the organization then consider a 3rd party product for Scalix. www.cryoserver.com

tohseng

bcc to two email addree

Postby tohseng » Mon May 12, 2008 5:19 am

Hi,

If I want to bcc to two different email address, is it put a comma behind the first email address as below ?

ARCHIVE=bcc:user1@yourdomain.com,user2@yourdomain.com

Will it slow down the email delivery ? Please advise.

Thanks.

GodOfTheWired

Does this still work for Scalix 11.4.3?

Postby GodOfTheWired » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Does this ARCHIVE option in the general.cfg still work for scalix 11? I don't see any "Archiver" services listed in Scalix 11 service status output.

I need to be able to archive all incoming/outgoing mail on a Scalix 11 server, even if it is destined for internal scalix users.

grassu

Postby grassu » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:53 am

The archiver does not exists in the community edition :-(
Server-Version: 11.4.5
Outlook: 2003/07

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:42 pm

The Archiver works correctly in Scalix 11.x. It does exist in the CE as well as all the licensed versions, but the license key will not allow you to run it with a CE license. You will need a commercial license (SBE, EE, HE) for that.

grshpr

Re: create an archive of all incoming/outoging emails

Postby grshpr » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:52 pm

I have set this up as directed with the ARCHIVE=bbc:email@domain.com

and have restarted both services and all it does is build emails up in the archive queue. I have went back and double checked case and spelling on the email account, as it is a local account.

is there something else that needs to be started for this to forward the emails out of that queue to the mailbox? like the ARCHIVE=YES?

Thanks, John

Return to “Third Party Integration”