Blackberry Enterprise Server

Best practice information from Scalix users relating to integration of Scalix with other products.

Moderator: ScalixSupport

souperdad

Blackberry Enterprise Server

Postby souperdad » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:42 pm

Our company uses blackberry's and we want to also use Scalix. Do we need a BES server in order to make use of the features that it offers or does Scalix provide the functionality of the BES server as well as a Mail Server?

kanderson

Postby kanderson » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:07 pm

Scalix does NOT include the functionality of a BES.

You have 2 options.

1) Cheap - Redirect inbound email to a webmail Blackberry account. Then set up the desktop to sync your calendar and addressbook. This does work well, but You'll need to delete email in 2 places. You need to be using an older version of the Blackberry client or this will not work successfully.

2) Good - www.notifycorp.com has a replacement for the BES. It provides similar services, except that it works with Scalix. It also works with devices that the BES doesn't, so you'll be able to use Treo's, Blackberries, and the PocketPC (or whatever) devices. It's reasonably expensive, and you need a MS server to run it on (or you can have them host it at their location.

Setting up #1 can be a challenge. If you need assistance, let me know.

Kev.

jakewilliams

Postby jakewilliams » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:24 am

So what is the Scalix-recommended way to integrate with Blackberries? Is it to purchase a BES (does this even work with Scalix?) Is it to purchase the NotifyLink software? Is it to have your email in two places (suggestion #1 above)?

We are considering Scalix but need Blackberry integration. The Scalix website has a press release (http://www.scalix.com/news/release5.html) that says "This latest release provides BlackBerry support" but I cannot find any more information on how to enable Blackberry integration.

Thanks,
Jake Williams
ELCOM

mephisto

Postby mephisto » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:24 pm

To have full support you need to buy NotifyLink as stated above. You don't need a BES, in fact you won't be able to use it with Scalix.

echelon

Notifycorp solutions

Postby echelon » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:20 am

We currently use notifycorp's hosted solution for IMAP server (i.e. the IMAP server is at our location, but the blackberry gateway server is at notify.) I spoke to our account rep about a hosted solution for Scalix (since we are migrating to Scalix.) It is not [yet] available, so for the moment you would need a the fulll notify solution installed onsite for full blackberry integration.

Return to “Third Party Integration”