VMWare Server VM OpenSuse 10, Scalix Community

Best practice information from Scalix users relating to integration of Scalix with other products.

Moderator: ScalixSupport

rbartel

VMWare Server VM OpenSuse 10, Scalix Community

Postby rbartel » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:00 pm

Anyone done one of these things? Anyone else interested?

mephisto

Postby mephisto » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:01 pm

I'm running OpenVZ as virtualization which has several advantages over VMware if you plan to consolidate a couple of linux servers (no windows host/guest possible). This way you can run the virtual servers almost at the same speed as the hardware host (according to the programmers about 3% loss).
Because VMware emulates a whole hardware host with its own filesystem etc it is much slower.

rbartel

Unfortunately Windows Server 2003 is a requirement...

Postby rbartel » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:33 am

The client has a server 2003 box that is required for their accounting ERP software but the server is VERY underused. They want decent EMail and have less than the 25 full Outlook capable user's that Scalix Community supports so my choices are a bit limited.

I'd heard that VMWare and Xen blow away the Microsoft solution and that VMWare is the best of breed.

It's my first shot at Virtualization (other than VMPlayer using predefined VM's) and was hoping someone either had done the dirty work or could point me in the right direction (and to see if anyone else was interested in it once it's done).

FrogSkin

Im running a VM Session with OSS 10 on Windows XP

Postby FrogSkin » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:01 am

Im currently running my Scalix mail server in a VM session with Suse OSS 10 on a Windows XP box.

Its running perfectly and Im not having any issues.

However I have now got a dedicated server that Im going to build with Suse OSS 10, is their and easy way to move the Scalix server over ?

Cheers

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am

Keep the hostname (FQDN) the same.

Then copy /var/opt/scalix to the new machine (preserving ownership and permissions), install Scalix and test.

vessenes

This is a little off topic, but

Postby vessenes » Mon May 22, 2006 11:17 am

We use VMWare ESX (their enterprise solution) extensively in our datacenter, and it is much faster than intimated in the previous post. It may be that VMWare personal, or whatever the lowend product is named is slower, but ESX is quite fast, and as far as working technology with good enterprise features and support, ESX is pretty much all there is right now.

Return to “Third Party Integration”