Write access (sync) personal contacts? Any possibility?

Best practice information from Scalix users relating to integration of Scalix with other products.

Moderator: ScalixSupport

mxx

Write access (sync) personal contacts? Any possibility?

Postby mxx » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi,

Is there any possibility to sync pers. contacts both ways? Does this limitation of LDAP clients not being able to write to personal contacts still exist?

I'm looking for any solution to sync contact data with 3rd party servers/providers like gmail syncml or anything else..

Also does anyone know of a solution other than Notifylink to sync with Scalix?

Thank you very much!

Max

echelon

Re: Write access (sync) personal contacts? Any possibility?

Postby echelon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:06 pm

Scalix does have its own ActiveSync and BlackBerry gateway products. I haven't tried them. I am generally happy with NotifyLink 4.6 for ActiveSync devices. I think with IMAP, CalDav and LDAP you could configure Iphones to talk directly to Scalix but you wouldn't have address book syncing.

http://www.scalix.com/enterprise/products/index.php

The LDAP functionality seems to be a front end- the user contact information is extracted somehow from the database and converted to LDAP functionality. it isn't really being stored in an LDAP system.

Which is almost a non-issue anyway since most e-mail clients can't write to LDAP. You would think it would be such a no-brainer for e-mail server and client developers to want to be able to do this. I mean it is "Light Weight ADDRESS BOOK" protocol. (I think Gnome Evolution may be the exception.)

Thunderbird has a google contacts plugin- you could use google to host your contacts. But that isn't so secure and then doesn't help you with Outlook or Scalix Web Access users.

mxx

Re: Write access (sync) personal contacts? Any possibility?

Postby mxx » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:20 am

Thank you echelon!

Return to “Third Party Integration”