Scalix LDAP w/ Apple Mail

Best practice information from Scalix users relating to integration of Scalix with other products.

Moderator: ScalixSupport

etchesou

Scalix LDAP w/ Apple Mail

Postby etchesou » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:22 am

Hi everyone,

i have a small problem with my Scalix Server and users using Apple Mail under OSX 10.6. The connection to the LDAP server works, but not all email addresses for the searched user show up.

E.g. we have entrys in the ldap where one user has several email addresses assigned. firstname.lastname@domain.tld and firstletterlastname@domain.tld for example. Is it possible that Apple Mail will show alle entrys for each user, and not only one of them?

Thanks in advance,
Jan

echelon

Re: Scalix LDAP w/ Apple Mail

Postby echelon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Thunderbird also only shows one field. I think that the standard LDAP schema specifies that an object has a single mail attribute. Obviously Scalix lets you have more than one mail address. But I suspect that many e-mail clients are hard coded only to support one address.

I have a separate LDAP server (not scalix) for another purpose and it will warn me when I add additional mail (e-mail) addresses.

If this really is an issue your solution may be to set up a 2ndary LDAP server as an address book server, and then enter each user twice

e.g cn=jsmith, display=John Smith,mail=jsmith@domain.com)
cn=john.smith,display=John Smith, mail=john.smith@domain.com

etchesou

Postby etchesou » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:21 am

Well, since it's working fine with other Mail Clients, i thought this was an issue with Apple Mail. For example, it's definatly working with Evolution, and also on the latest Thunderbird.

echelon

Postby echelon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:38 am

You are right about Evolution. I am surprised anyone still users Evolution with Scalix anymore.

I have Thunderbird 3.0.3 and 3.1.2 on FC11. I still only see a single e-mail entry. This is with authenticated LDAP to the system address book with Scalix 11.4.6.

Any reason to use MacMail over Thunderbird on the Mac?

Have you tried Entourage for the Mac?

Return to “Third Party Integration”