iCal problems with Scalix 11.4.4 - tomcat java render error

Best practice information from Scalix users relating to integration of Scalix with other products.

Moderator: ScalixSupport

echelon

iCal problems with Scalix 11.4.4 - tomcat java render error

Postby echelon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:34 pm

I recently upgraded from Scalix 11.4.3 (small business on RHEL 5.3) to 11.4.4

With 11.4.3. I could download my calendar as an ical file from a web browser or with the wget command. (This was in primarily to allow some calendar integration with other applications.)

The URL was as follows

https://mail.domain.co/api/myname@domain.com/mailbox/Calendar?output=ical

However, since upgrading to 11.4.4, I now get a java render error in both the web browser and the tomcat scalix-api login. Thunderbird with the lightning plugin (caldav calendar support) still works fine. The following link https://mail.domain.co/api/myname@domain.com/mailbox/Calendar?output=rss also works fine so I don't think I have problem with tomcat or apache listening on the wronng IP.

The full output is:

HTTP Status 500 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.RuntimeException: Attempting to render unsupported objects of type class com.scalix.api.entity.Message
org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:472)
com.scalix.api.PlatformDispatcherServlet.service(PlatformDispatcherServlet.java:76)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
org.springframework.web.filter.AbstractRequestLoggingFilter.doFilterInternal(AbstractRequestLoggingFilter.java:133)
org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:75)

root cause

java.lang.RuntimeException: Attempting to render unsupported objects of type class com.scalix.api.entity.Message
com.scalix.api.presentation.Renderer.renderMessages(Renderer.java:109)
com.scalix.api.rest.MailboxServlet.renderMessages(MailboxServlet.java:243)
com.scalix.api.rest.MailboxServlet.processFetchMessagesRequest(MailboxServlet.java:232)
com.scalix.api.rest.MailboxServlet.doGet(MailboxServlet.java:95)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:627)
org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.ServletWrappingController.handleRequestInternal(ServletWrappingController.java:174)
org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.AbstractController.handleRequest(AbstractController.java:153)
org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.handle(SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.java:48)
org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:839)
org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:774)
org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:460)
com.scalix.api.PlatformDispatcherServlet.service(PlatformDispatcherServlet.java:76)
org.springframework.web.filter.AbstractRequestLoggingFilter.doFilterInternal(AbstractRequestLoggingFilter.java:133)
org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:75)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.5.27 logs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Tomcat/5.5.27

PS. If I shtudown the server with omshut command, I get the following

omoff : [OM 4835] Subsystem Application Link Server is already off.

Although when I restart scalix with omrc, everthing does start back up.

Thanks

Tom

Re: iCal problems with Scalix 11.4.4 - tomcat java render error

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 am

Seeing the same error after upgrading from 11.4.0 CE to 11.4.4 CE on SLES10.
Anyone knows where to look for culprit? We have out CMS linked to scalix calendaring via this functionality and we'd like to get it back to work :)

echelon

Postby echelon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:58 pm

I just upgraded to 11.4.5. It unfortunately did NOT fix this problem.

I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2- although this doesn't seem to be a RedHat problem.

Maybe someone from Scalix can confirm if this feature is even supposed to work in 11.4.5 or not? I don't want pay for a support request to try to fix something that doesn't work. Actually, I don't want to pay for support for something that did work (mostly) but stopped working after an upgrade.

The ical/caldav functionality has been a great addition. It has let us use thunderbird (instead of the Evolution+Scalix plugin) and also link it with other applications.

Tom

Postby Tom » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:08 am

Same here. Upgrade to 11.4.5 didn't solve the issue.

echelon, did you find out any solution to this?

echelon

Postby echelon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:53 am

I still can't download ical calendars as a single file.

The alternate approach was to use the wget command to pull all the individual event files from a particular HTTP directory, strip calendar headers and footers, concat the files to a single file, and then add a single header and footer back. I have pasted the script below. In this case I am using it to publish info from our conference rooms (resource accounts) Scalix use Outlook and Scalix Web Access to reserve conference rooms. Thunderbird and Evolution don't work for this. This scripts publishes the calendar info for use by Outlook users on our Exchange server.

One of my colleagues wrote his own script in PHP for a related problem- to sync his Scalix calendar with his Google calendar. He found that my script had not met his needs since he received meeting invites from people using Outlook, Evolution and Thunderbird- and each client handled defining timezone info a little different. I didn't have this issue.

I don't think my script is especially elegant- each time it runs it has too work on the entire calendar for a resource- it doesn't just add or delete the ones that have changed. But considering Scalix is a commerical package, for which we actually pay $, I expect Scalix to return the prior functionality. (Of course, to be fair, when I installed MS Exchange 2007 I found that Microsoft had REMOVED Exchange backup functionality from the Windows 2008.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#/bin/bash
for RESOURCE in `cat /etc/MSX/conferencerooms.txt`
do
#MAIN LOOP
/bin/rm -r /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE
mkdir /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE

wget --http-user=$RESOURCE --http-password=****** \
--secure-protocol=auto --no-check-certificate --recursive \
--no-directories -P /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE --level=1 \
https://imap.ssci.com/api/dav/Calendars/Users/$RESOURCE@mydomain.com/Calendar

cat /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/*.ics > /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.1

#strip repeated headers and footers

cat /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.1 | grep -v "CALSCALE:GREGORIAN" \
| grep -v "BEGIN:VCALENDAR" \
| grep -v "CALSCALE:GREGORIAN" \
| grep -v "PRODID:-//Scalix Corporation" \
| grep -v "VERSION:2.0" \| grep -v "END:VCALENDAR" \
| tee /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.2

#Add one header and footer
cat /etc/MSX/ical-header.txt > /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.3
cat /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.2 >> /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.3
cat /etc/MSX/ical-footer.txt >> /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.3
cp /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.3 /export/MSX/Calendar/$RESOURCE.ics

#END MAIN LOOP
done

| grep -v "METHOD:PUBLISH" \
| grep -v "END:VCALENDAR" \
| tee /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.2

#Add one header and footer
cat /etc/MSX/ical-header.txt > /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.3
cat /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.2 >> /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.3
cat /etc/MSX/ical-footer.txt >> /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.3
cp /export/MSX/Calendar2/$RESOURCE/combo.3 /export/MSX/Calendar/$RESOURCE.ics

#END MAIN LOOP
done

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# cat /etc/SSC/MSX/ical-header.txt
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
PRODID:-//Scalix Corporation//Scalix Server 11.4.4.12886//EN
VERSION:2.0
METHOD:PUBLISH

# cat /etc/SSC/MSX/ical-footer.txt
END:VCALENDAR
#

Return to “Third Party Integration”