Palm Pre + Activesync

Best practice information from Scalix users relating to integration of Scalix with other products.

Moderator: ScalixSupport

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Palm Pre + Activesync

Postby billb3 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:37 am

Has anyone had a chance to try this out?

jdaviesbrant

Re: Palm Pre + Activesync

Postby jdaviesbrant » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:35 pm

We have 4 of them currently setup and are having what seems like a configuration issue.
I have spoken with palm and they keep escalating the issue higher but so far they don't have an answer.

The pre syncs perfectly with contacts and calendar over exchange activesync but the email is the issue however.

When a new email comes in i see the subject line and any attachments that come with it but for some reason i get a timeout error on downloading the message text.

Exact error as follows "Download of the message body timed out. The system will retry soon."

If anyone has any idea what the problem could be any advise would be appreciated.

Imap email however works fine with our scalix server.

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:19 am

What version of scalix server & activesync module?

jaydenrussell

Postby jaydenrussell » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:27 am

billb3 wrote:What version of scalix server & activesync module?

We have Scalix 11.4.5 with ActiveSync 1.01 running on a dedicated machine.

jaydenrussell

Postby jaydenrussell » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:03 am

After doing some research, we tailed the wireless log and found a java error happening. Funny thing since the iPhone works without any of these errors but the Palm Pre's have this error.

from scalix-wireless.log

Code: Select all

2009-10-14 10:49:20,750 FATAL [WirelessServlet.doPost:127] SERVLET - deviceId: PALM53df53db405e3cd072750a5be08d, user: jdavies - Uncaught and unhandled exception was reported by
the server:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.scalix.wireless.controller.command.ItemOperationsCommand.execute(ItemOperationsCommand.java:72)
        at com.scalix.wireless.handlers.WirelessRequestImpl.execute(WirelessRequestImpl.java:176)
        at com.scalix.wireless.HttpRequestHandler.handleRequest(HttpRequestHandler.java:138)
        at com.scalix.wireless.WirelessServlet.doPost(WirelessServlet.java:113)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:647)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
        at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.ServletWrappingController.handleRequestInternal(ServletWrappingController.java:158)
        at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.AbstractController.handleRequest(AbstractController.java:153)
        at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.handle(SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.java:48)
        at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:875)
        at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:809)
        at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:571)
        at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:511)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:647)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
        at org.springframework.web.filter.AbstractRequestLoggingFilter.doFilterInternal(AbstractRequestLoggingFilter.java:156)
        at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:172)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:200)
        at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:283)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:773)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:703)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:895)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

jdaviesbrant

Postby jdaviesbrant » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:07 am

Were also getting some simple errors in the logwatch on the root mail that could pertain to the problem.

500 Internal Server Error
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=FolderSyn ... DeviceType=Palm: 2 Time(s)
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=ItemOpera ... DeviceType=Palm: 690 Time(s)
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=Sync&User ... DeviceType=Palm: 41 Time(s)

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:13 am

I found this on the palm site, so it looks like it is probably a WebOS issue:

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=wireless_email&message.id=9986

Anything showing up related to that user when you run omshowlog?

I don't have a WebOS device, so I can't test...but am planning to purchase one in the near future so hopefully this gets resolved soon. :)

jaydenrussell

Postby jaydenrussell » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:36 am

We thought it was a pre issue as well but Palm allowed us to connect to a EAS server which worked fine on the pre. Palm is looking into it more but basically told us that it works for EAS. Scalix EAS has limited functionality in the current release so we are wondering if these are issues that are preventing us from actually reading the mail body.

500 Internal Server Error
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=FolderSyn ... DeviceType=Palm: 2 Time(s)
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=ItemOpera ... DeviceType=Palm: 690 Time(s)
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=Sync&User ... DeviceType=Palm: 41 Time(s)

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:09 pm

Finally got the Palm Pre, really nice phone...but I'm having the same issue. My workaround is to also setup an IMAP account, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Curious if you had anymore communication with Palm or any other workaround for this? Thanks!

jdaviesbrant

Postby jdaviesbrant » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:16 pm

Upon our last contact with Palm they had me test the eas connection on the pre to a test server that they use which was actually a paramount domain.
As far as they seem to be concerned there is no problem with the pre connecting to eas as it worked fine on the test server.

That's why we sent in a support request with Scalix and started posting on the forums looking for answers.

It would be nice to have it all working on one account instead of having to have a separate imap account just for reading email. :?

Joe

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:18 pm

I opened a bug yesterday (#21002), got a quick response (thanks scalix!)

It is reproducible with 11.4.5.GA and AS 1.0.1 and palm pre Emulator 1.2
However, With the latest Setup of 11.4.6.RC4 and Sylt U2-RC3, the issue is not reproduced.

decaf

Postby decaf » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Does anyone know when the new version will be released. This is a must have feature for my company and we all have Palm Pres.

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:23 pm

Just installed scalix 11.4.6 & AS 1.0.2. Email/cal/contacts are now working properly.

Return to “Third Party Integration”