Blackberry Storm

Best practice information from Scalix users relating to integration of Scalix with other products.

Moderator: ScalixSupport

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Blackberry Storm

Postby billb3 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:22 am

Trying to get a Blackberry Storm to sync with Scalix via BBDM 4.2. Not having any luck...has anyone else had success?

mmas

Postby mmas » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:06 am

Hi, I've configured a BlackBerry 9000 series and I found that I must install
Blackberry desktop Manager 4.2. I choose the service pack 2 version (donwloaded from blackberry site). Newer version don't work.

Then I have overwritten C:\programmi\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Connectors\MS Outlook Connector\ilxolk.fil with the version found on BBDM folder (package scalix-outlook-connector).

I have found usb driver for my blackberry in C:\program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion.

Backup and sync work fine for me.

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:30 am

Forgot to post back earlier, I too got it working properly. Thanks!

MadMax72

Re: Blackberry Storm

Postby MadMax72 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:55 pm

Finally three days later I have this working...I feel your pain...

Both Blackberry & Verizon told me it was NOT possible to use the Storm with anything less than the 4.7 BBDM. They said that the OS of the Blackberry had to use the same version of the BBDM. "You can't use a Storm which has 4.7 OS and 4.2 BBDM..."

I am here to tell you they're WRONG!

After a very frustrating three days of trying 3rd party apps like notifylink and afunmobl, I finally figured out how to sync a Storm using 4.2 BBDM and the 4.7 Blackberry drivers.

Using the CD that comes with the storm, when prompted choose the "custom" option and de-select the BBDM (2nd checkbox from the top), this will install ONLY the 4.7 drivers. The problem I was having is that it would uninstall 4.2 BBDM and replace it with 4.7 even though I selected drivers only from the CD install menu.

So now I'm still able to run 4.2 BBDM to sync to outlook using the mentioned ilxolk.fil patch located in the "scalix-11.4.2-GA\extras\scalix_connect_outlook\BBDM\4.2" directory.

If I can spare another soul this torture it's all been worth it.

Hope this helps!

jangi

Postby jangi » Thu May 14, 2009 1:06 am

For future reference... if you install the latest BBDM on a machine, the drivers get copied to somewhere in Program Files (possibly C:\Program Files\Common Files). I retain a copy of the raw driver folder so when a new BB comes in I can just plug it in, point windows at that folder for the driver, and install 4.2sp2 and be on my way...

RSisco

Postby RSisco » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:30 pm

I had a heck of a time getting this to work. I had to take the following steps:

Download and Install Blackberry Device Manager 4.7 Installer from RIM
Download and Install Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2 from RIM (Which doesn't give the option to skip installing the Device Manager, but apparently didn't overwrite it)
Replace ilxolk.fil file per Scalix instructions

Richard

[edit]After reboot or unplugging the bberry, it jacked the drivers for it. I had to manually tell it to update the 9350 drivers in device manager from the folder I had backed up as in the post listed above mine. This seems to be a permanent fix[/edit]
I have officially quit using Scalix, but continue to visit the forums
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scalix Server 11.4.6.13676
Scalix Connect 11.4.6.9214
SWA 11.4.6.12377
Outlook 2007
CentOS 5.3

RSisco

Postby RSisco » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:40 pm

***Update***

The boss updated the phone OS and also allowed Desktop Manager to update to 5.0 SP1 (a.k.a. 5.0.1) which in turn broke the synchronization. All I had to do was uninstall the Desktop Manager, download and install Blackberry Device Manager 5.0 SP 1 Installer from RIM and then reinstall Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2. After a reboot and replacing the ilxolk.fil file, everything synced. I did get a duplicated calendar (on the Blackberry) so I followed the instructions here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/89420-how-do-i-delete-all-entries-my-calendar.html

and then resynced. Everything's up to snuff again!

Richard
I have officially quit using Scalix, but continue to visit the forums
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scalix Server 11.4.6.13676
Scalix Connect 11.4.6.9214
SWA 11.4.6.12377
Outlook 2007
CentOS 5.3

Return to “Third Party Integration”