I have 8 groups... and now I can't add any more

Discuss Scalix Management Services ( formerly Scalix Admin Console )

Moderator: ScalixSupport

jmason1182

I have 8 groups... and now I can't add any more

Postby jmason1182 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:58 pm

I have 8 groups. Standard install, no problems at all, etc.

But, now if i try to add a group the SAC, it will tell me it can't add users. Then, it will start the dialog over and tell me it can't create a group because the name exists. BUT it never shows up, despite my filters, my refreshes, etc.

So I try to add the groups manually from the command-line. omaddpdl adds it fine.... I mean I can see it in the ldap using omshowpdl -l all. BUT I can't see it in SAC even when the filter is set to All Groups (instead of Normal).

Any ideas what I can't get over 8 groups installed?

I'm going to try removing one of my original 8, and then adding it back to see if i can get over the 8 limit. Oh, and I've tried 4 different groups that I need to add... so it isn't just the name or something. I've also tried adding it without any users.... still won't show up.

dannyt
Scalix
Scalix

Postby dannyt » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:19 pm

Hi,

Check tomcat scalix-res.log to see if SAC gets as far as calling omaddpdl when you hit the problem. If so what arguments are passed to omaddpdl and what error is returned (best to post just these lines from the log file).

Regards,
Danny

jmason1182

Postby jmason1182 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:21 pm

Ok, I got it fixed. In my hosts file I had changed the first entry from my internal hostname to my external mail server name so that my mail server would appear to the outside world as the mail.mydomain.com instead of midsl052.mylocal.local. Once I changed it back, it worked.

So that means that because I want to have my internal names to be the machines names and my scalix server exists on the internal machine name, then the external name will forever be the internal... thus my MX records all cause problems because hotmail actually CHECKS for that type of thing. (Telnet to your port 25 from outside your lan and see what hostname it reports to be.... hotmail won't take our email stating that the "callback" states a non-existent host (midsl052.mylocal.local.... and not mail.mydomain.com)

SO, like I've requested on another thread, is there a way to make the SMTP relay provide a specific hostname for the machine, DESPITE what the /etc/hosts file says. I've tried many different things in the smtpd.conf file to no avail!?

jmason1182

Postby jmason1182 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:47 pm

Scalix-caa.log (changed domains)

Code: Select all

2007-09-19 12:43:45,615 ERROR [GetMemberAccessGroupList.createSOAPResponseMessage:246]
2007-09-19 12:44:09,394 ERROR [RESServiceHandler.executeRESCommand:1991] Failed to obtain Remote Execution Service URL for server mail.externalDomain.com from the Event table
2007-09-19 12:44:09,395 FATAL [RESService.doRequest:125] java.lang.NullPointerException
2007-09-19 12:44:09,395 FATAL [RESService.doRequest:126] java.lang.NullPointerException

In my /etc/hosts file, I put mail.externalDomain.com as the first listing for the local IP (I use NAT). Therefore, if I telnet to my incoming mail server (from outside) I don't see midsl052.internaldomain.local.... I see mail.externaldomain.com in the Server info 200 line.

BUT, once I get that fixed, the jakarta/tomcat won't take Remote Execution Service URL for the external domain name.

Any help?

dannyt
Scalix
Scalix

Postby dannyt » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:43 pm

Hi,

Hopefully other people can chime in to help you as I am not sure how to solve your host name problem.

Regards,
Danny

jmason1182

Postby jmason1182 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:46 pm

plain and simple I had to remove and reinstall everything... which helped me see that my backups are only somewhat working... AND it helped me to realize that this setup is a little complex.... so I've gotten stuck a time or two. All in all... I'm getting it worked out.

NOTE TO SELF: DO NOT HAVE THE HOSTNAME AS A LOCAL NAME, HAVE IT AS THE EXTERNAL MAIL SERVER NAME OR... OR... OR get another machine that will be your external gateway because the scalix smtp relay won't take a hostname..... so the outside will see your internal hostname if you don't heed the warning.

dkelly
Scalix
Scalix

Postby dkelly » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:53 pm

The file /var/opt/scalix/NN/s/sys/smtpd.cfg allows you to configure the greeting when you make the connection.

Look for the comments

# GREETING        This is the text after the domain on the connection
#                 greeting line.

You set

GREETING=Some text
and the 220 response will be

220 Some text

You will need to restart the SMTP Relay when you've made the change.

This allows you to hide the hostname completely.

Cheers

Dave

Return to “Scalix Management Services”