Per user mailbox quota

Discuss Scalix Management Services ( formerly Scalix Admin Console )

Moderator: ScalixSupport

edrean

Per user mailbox quota

Postby edrean » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:26 am

I have set up a mailbox quota for one specific user. To do this I logged into SAC and chose "Enter Limit" from the dropdown and entered the limit in the box next to it. I then ticked the "Send mail to user when over the limit" checkbox and left everything else unticked. The user was already over the limit I set so Scalix sent a mail about it. So everything worked fine. There are no system-wide quotas.

Now, the user has managed to decrease the mailbox size to about 94% of quota. Scalix still sends regular messages to the user informing the user "Your message store is nearing its size limit. Please delete some items as sanctions may be imposed.". I don't want Scalix to send any messages unless the user is over the quota. So I have 2 questions :

1. At what percentage of quota will Scalix start sending the "nearing size limit" message by default? Is it configurable, and where?
2. How can I specify that a warning should not be sent unless the user is OVER quota (eg. no "nearing size limit" message)?

Thanks.

ltward

Re: Per user mailbox quota

Postby ltward » Wed May 05, 2010 2:44 pm

edrean wrote:1. At what percentage of quota will Scalix start sending the "nearing size limit" message by default? Is it configurable, and where?

In SAC go to Settings (icon) -> Server name (from list on left) -> Mail (tab)
The value is actually stored in /var/opt/scalix/??/s/rules/ALL-ROUTES if you prefer to use the command line.
If you use the command line remember to restart the service rotuer, local delivery, and remote client interface so that they read the new settings.

2. How can I specify that a warning should not be sent unless the user is OVER quota (eg. no "nearing size limit" message)?

Instead of 80% put 100% or 105%

edrean

Is this a bug?

Postby edrean » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:39 am

OK my settings are as follows :

/var/opt/scalix/??/s/rules/ALL-ROUTES

Code: Select all

#
# DO NOT EDIT OR CHANGE THIS FILE
# THIS FILE IS DYNAMICALLY GENERATED
# CHANGING THE ORDER OR THE SETTINGS BELOW
# CAN RESULT IN UNDESIRABLE BEHAVIOUR
# -- UberManager
#
OMLIMIT-EXCEEDED=110 ACTION=REJECT
OMLIMIT-EXCEEDED=99 ACTION=ALLOW NOTIFY="Your mailbox is close to maximum capacity -- please delete some messages"

omlimit -g -r

Code: Select all

Name : GLOBAL SETTINGS
Message Store Size Limit     : 2300000Kb
Intray Size Limit            : 0Kb
Filing Cabinet Size Limit    : 0Kb
WasteBasket Size Limit       : 0Kb
Pending Tray Size Limit      : 0Kb
Distribution List Area Limit : 0Kb

Omlimit Sanctions Enabled :
        (u)     User receives a message warning of the over limit
        (s)     Messages sent are subject to any delivery rules
                that utilize the OMLIMIT-EXCEEDED message filter attribute

I have set my own account to use the server limit, so omlimit -u "Edrean XXXXX" -r returns the same as GLOBAL SETTINGS.

My mailbox size returns 2.191 GB after an omscan -Aavfx. This is about 95% of the quota.

I still get daily messages from MAIL-SYSTEM telling me :
****************************** WARNING *****************************
Your message store is nearing its size limit.
Please delete some items as sanctions may be imposed

...even though my mailbox is only at 95% and it is set to only notify me at 99%.

I have restarted the relevant services after changing settings.

Is this a bug?

Anything else I could try before I submit a bug report?

BaldBoy

Re: Is this a bug?

Postby BaldBoy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:30 am

edrean wrote:My mailbox size returns 2.191 GB after an omscan -Aavfx. This is about 95% of the quota.

Your calcs are a little bit wrong

You say your Message Store Size Limit is 2,300,000 Kb and your mailbox is 2.191 Gb: doing proper maths from Gb to Kb it appears that 2.191Gb are 2.191 * 1024 * 1024 = 2,297,430.02 Kb which are exactly 99.89% of the allotted space. Scalix is configured to warn you when above 99% of occupation ... and you are !

So there is no bug and Scalix is doing is it's job.

edrean

Postby edrean » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:45 am

Thanks for pointing that out BaldBoy. You are, of course, right. I'll test it out.

Even so, while Scalix might do the calculations the right way behind the scenes (using 1024 instead of 1000), it does the calcs wrong in the interface. For instance, let's say you open up the "Mailbox Limits" page for an account in SAC. It reports the Used Mailbox Size as 2.258 GB and the Used Wastebasket Size as 4.064 MB. The per-user Maximum Mailbox Size is entered as 2550 MB. SAC then reports the Percentage of Quota Used as 88.71%. This is (2.258 + 0.004) / 2.55. Clearly this calculation was being done with 1000MB=1GB.

Furthermore, if you look at this account's omlimit -u -r, it reports the limit as 2550000Kb. This, also, is 2550MB * 1000 (and not 1024).

I am busy testing to see if the enforcement of the limit is actually based on 1024 as BaldBoy pointed out. I'll report back with my findings...

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:30 am

Hi edrean, there is effectively a discrepancy among data depicted by SAC and real storage occupation.

Man pages for omlimit always base the math on Kb while SAC sets mailbox limits using Mb with an improper conversion from KB<->MB = 1000:1

I've made some digging into SAC's logic and found that there is fixed code variable that states this conversion: you can change that one to enable proper 1024 conversion.

Edit file /var/opt/scalix/xx/tomcat/webapps/sac/js/LocalConfig.js and change (quite at the bottom of file) the value of LocalConfig.KBperMB to 1024 (you'll find it set to 1000).
Save the file and reopen SAC to display proper storage usage values. Please note that you'll also have to re-set global "Maximum Mailbox Size" to have your 2,500Mb properly converted to 2,500 * 1024 = 2,560,000 Kb

Filed as bug : https://bugzilla.scalix.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21448

Return to “Scalix Management Services”