Scalix vs Exchange price comparison

General feedback

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

albatroz

Scalix vs Exchange price comparison

Postby albatroz » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:11 pm

I found this whitepaper and although it uses Redhat Enterprise Edition ($1200+) for calculating for the Scalix cost and don't use the Present Money Value concept for
comparing 2 expenses, it is a good reference document.

http://whitepapers.zdnet.com/download.a ... cid=290560

BTW, You may also notice from the document that the corporate versions of Scalix are not too much less expensive than Exchange. So if that is true, what other arguments do you use to convince an IT decision taker to choose Scalix. Taking in count that Blackberry solutions are easier/cheaper to setup on Exchange boxes.

cdclark

Postby cdclark » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:37 pm

How do you figure that blackberry solutions are cheaper on Exchange + BES? Keep in mind that while NotifyLink charges a monthly fee to use their solution, running a BES plan on your BB is also more expensive than a BIS plan (which is sufficient for Notify). Then factor in the cost of the BES server software...

jaime.pinto
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby jaime.pinto » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:58 pm

So if that is true, what other arguments do you use to convince an IT decision taker to choose Scalix.

Hi albatroz, I'll *really* try to answer your question without "hurting your feelings".

Considerations:
1) Are you an IT decision maker with a unix/linux background or strictly windows. If you come from a primarily unix/linux background, even with a limited exposure to windows sysadm, but enough to know the issues involved with dealing with Billy Gates, then you already know the answer.

2) That leads me to believe you are a primarily a Windows head kind of IT guy. (if not please correct me). In that case, don't bother asking, just go with Billy Gates, you'll be happier, basically because you'll never know how much better the World can be, and that is perfectly Ok too.

Bottom line: PRICE IS NEVER THE PRIMARY CONSIDERATION when deciding whether or not to go with a linux based solution against windows.
Image Jaime
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

jryden

Postby jryden » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:17 pm

jaime.pinto wrote:
Bottom line: PRICE IS NEVER THE PRIMARY CONSIDERATION when deciding whether or not to go with a linux based solution against windows.

Umm. If you think that I would kindly request you to come back down to the earth the rest of us live on :D

StanLow

Postby StanLow » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:31 pm

jaime.pinto wrote:Bottom line: PRICE IS NEVER THE PRIMARY CONSIDERATION when deciding whether or not to go with a linux based solution against windows.

Yeah...... right......
:roll:

jaime.pinto
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby jaime.pinto » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:22 pm

It's funny that I'm already getting this kind of reaction from some of you. Come on guys! You know exactly what I mean!
Have you forgotten how much more expensive *most* windows based solutions become in the long run, regardless of how much cheaper be may appear to be upfront? The countless hours in support calls/emails to MS, reinstallations, phone calls from end users, virus, FS corruptions, difficulties with hardware/software upgrades, cost associated with the number of extra bodies just to do sysadm tasks, having to dress-up and drive to the office because it's almost impossible to deal with emergencies remotely, etc.

And how to account for *peace of mind", or the number of collective hours lost by everyone in the facility due to Billy Gates crap? I deal with this sort of things every day, and for years! Yeah...... right......, I AM down to the earth! The article mentioned on the first post doesn't consider any of this. I don't see any of these extra costs on the unix/linux side of our business.
Image Jaime
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Rhiandur

Postby Rhiandur » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:34 am

Hmm... I cant access this compare without registering, and I really dislike to register for a single download.

But for a price compare in general I want to reply. All companies I administrate have below 25 users and none of them care what kind of software is running on the server, all they want is an up and running environment. Scalix Community is unbeatable in pricing here. Redhat Enterprise is having its place in the world but comparing it to Windows server is like comparing Eggs to Apples. You pay RedHat for great support and except for online updates Windows Server dont get shipped with any valuable support. For myself I prefer Debian base for Linux and never drove bad with it.

For setting up a Windows/Exchange the most money goes to Microsoft, for setting up a Linux/Scalix it goes to me, now guess what I prefer when I can choose ;)

Return to “Feedback”