Feature Request - Better Outlook Rules Filtering

General feedback

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

BigBirdy

Feature Request - Better Outlook Rules Filtering

Postby BigBirdy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:07 pm

I have had many complaints, including some of my own, on the less-than-perfect implementation of filtering rules for Outlook clients. In some cases, clearly defined logic rules and correct sequences of rules, still make copies of email that should clearly be moved? At the very least, an option to "Disable Further Rules from Executing Once this Rule Fires" might fix some of the problems.

ScalixSupport
Scalix
Scalix

Postby ScalixSupport » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:15 am

Can you give us some specific examples of where rules have failed to meet the behaviour you (and others) were expecting, or does this just boil down to your last comment which is a request to have an option to "Disable further rules from processing" after a specific rule is triggered.

Thanks for your feedback, we are listening.

Cheers,
JG

Richard Hall
Scalix
Scalix

Postby Richard Hall » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:36 am

For Outlook rules there is a "stop processing more rules" rule in the 'action' section. Rules are applied from top to bottom and can be re-ordered so this may solve some of your problems.
-- Richard

pete

Postby pete » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:28 pm

Also, it would be nice to have the option to run the rules on an existing mailstore rather than just when a new message arrives. This would make it easy to organize an existing users mail.

P

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:03 pm

Our rules wizard tries to create server-based rules on the router level wherever possible; these are processed by our service router/local delivery mechanism, even when outlook is not running. Therefore, the rules are strictly "in-transit" rules.

You can however use Outlook client-side rules as well; if you click on Extras->Organize messages (in OL 2003, might look different in older versions), you will have a button saying rules and notifcations. this button will take you to outlooks built-in rules wizard that can be used to create client-side rules. These are processed by outlook directly against the message store and can therefore be applied to messages already downloaded to your folders! There is a button for this ("Apply these rules now") on the screen.

hope this helps, cheers,
Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

pete

Postby pete » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:27 pm

Thanks for that! Works nicely.

P

ScatterBrain

Postby ScatterBrain » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:14 am

So am I supposed to tell my users to create each and every rule twice? Come on, this is little more than a work around - and a poor one at that!.

Scalix is marketing itself as an Exchange replacement. Exchange has the ability to "Run Rules Now" after a rule was created. Scalix should too.
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager
Nesbitt Engineering, Inc.

axsom1

Postby axsom1 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:24 am

Does this work in Outlook 2000? No matter what, I only get the Scalix Rules Wizard.

Thanks,
John

Ata Rasekhi
Scalix
Scalix

Scalix Rules Wizard

Postby Ata Rasekhi » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:44 pm

Thank you for your suggestion for the Scalix Rules Wizard. The ability to "Run Rules Now" has been captured as an enhancement request and will be considered as part of our
product planning efforts for future releases.

Best,
Ata Rasekhi
Product Management

camerond01

Postby camerond01 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:35 am

I would like the option "Run Rules Now" implemented. This is especially handy when migrating users and demonstrating the benefits of folders and rules when organising their inboxes.

Thanks,
Cameron
Cameron

Return to “Feedback”