Scalix 11.5 which New functions?

General feedback

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

sfischer

Scalix 11.5 which New functions?

Postby sfischer » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:33 am

Hi,

which new functionality can we expect in Version 11.5?

CARDDAV Support ?

AdrianChapman

Re: Scalix 11.5 which New functions?

Postby AdrianChapman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:37 am

sfischer wrote:Hi,

which new functionality can we expect in Version 11.5?

CARDDAV Support ?

There's certainly webmail support for Firefox 3.6 (works currently, but complains), and Safari/Chrome/Webkit browsers.
Also much more complete Task support in Outlook 2007.

One very interesting snippet has just come to my attention, too...

From the Blackberry Connect release notes :-
"Scalix Connect for BES works in combination with Scalix Server release 11.4. Future releases of Scalix Connect for BES will be part of Scalix Server releases, starting with Scalix Server release 11.5."
http://downloads.scalix.com/rn/scalix-besconnect-1.0.1-GA-releasenotes.html

Can somebody clarify this? My customer (SmallBiz 50 seats) who are currently desperate for 11.5 are also about to receive a number of Blackberries and want to set up the Scalix link to BESexpress.

Does this mean they'll be paying €500 for something that will be obsolete when 11.5 finally comes out?
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move
Mobility - Messaging - Infrastructure - Security - Remote Access

Fingers crossed for Scalix having a strong future!

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:15 am

... included in this context refers to the software bits, i.e. download packages for Scalix 11.5 will bring the BES connector with them, all editions.

there are no plans to change licensing, i.e. at this point we believe we'll still charge for SBE and include the option in the EE license.

I must say, however, that I'm still confused by the comment; included options very frequently change with software release versions (and other products). Even Microsoft chooses to include some new functionality into new releases of Windows for which there was extra charge in previous versions; and car options change into standard functionality with a new version of a car (or just a year's model, for that matter) all the time. Modifying what's included in a base price is one of the most common things product marketing does, so not sure why, even if we did this, it would be *so* disappointing.

Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:19 am

General
Upgrade to Java 6 and Tomcat 6 platforms
Upgrade to latest Lucene version to facilitate better Search/Index performance
Support for Tenant Spanning across multiple servers in Hosting Edition
Platform support updated to include OpenSuSE 11.2, Fedora 12, SuSE Linux Exterprise Server 11
Experimental Installer support for Debian Lenny, Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and Univention UCS 2.3 (unsupported)
Scalix Connect for BES included in main package

Server
Support to allow IMAP/SMTP-based clients to send from any of a user’s SMTP aliases
Significantly improved handling of calendar appointments with Exceptions and All-day appointments, especially in interoperability situations
Ability to set ActiveSync per-user attribute from external LDAP directory
Ability to use wildcards in any position in a SMINTFC mailnode route definition
Ability to put incoming messages for users in a hold for more consistent mailbox backup and migration
Per-Mailnode User Number limits and quota implementation
Ability of omaddu/ommodu commands to encode/decode UTF-8 SMTP friendly names as proper RFC-2047
People Mover functionality for better support of transferring a mailbox from one server to another without data loss
Use GUIDs instead of X.400 attributes for ACLs, resulting in ACL stability over X.400 naming changes
Ability to export Recovery Folder using sxmboxexp
Numerous Archiving Improvements
Exchange 2007 Journaling compliant Archiving format
Per-User/Per Mailnode configurable archiving
New Free/Busy server providing up-to-date FreeBusy information when Mobile or CalDAV clients are used
sxdu support for Hosting Edition
sxmaint monitoring Indexer for Problems
omcontain/omdiag do not require diag password anymore
Ability of sxmaint to exclude mountpoints from disk space check

SWA
Support for Tasks interoperable with Outlook
Support for selectable SMTP sender aliases
More compact, text-less toolbar design
Non-modal Reminders Dialog
Ability to download single messages as .eml files
Paged/Filtered access of Mail folders for faster loading of large folders
Browser Support for Safari 4.x on Windows and Mac as well as Firefox 3.6 on all platforms. Deprecation of Firefox 1.x, 2.x and IE6
Known to work on Google Chrome on Windows and Mac, as well as Chromium (unsupported/Beta)

Messaging Services
Support for Apple iCal 4.0 via CalDAV

SAC
Hosting Edition Management Integrated into SAC main UI, no longer using Plugins
Ability to set Mailbox quotas as well as limit on per-tenant numbers of users in SAC
Ability so show ActiveSync Licensing and Usage Data
New Management Services API with SOAP-compliant WSDL interface

Scalix Active Directory Extensions
Ability to set ActiveSync, Sender, SWA flags in ActiveDirectory

Scalix Migration Tool
Better Performance, Stability, Logging and Resilience against invalid data items

AdrianChapman

Postby AdrianChapman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:31 am

florian wrote:... included in this context refers to the software bits, i.e. download packages for Scalix 11.5 will bring the BES connector with them, all editions.

there are no plans to change licensing, i.e. at this point we believe we'll still charge for SBE and include the option in the EE license.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

I must say, however, that I'm still confused by the comment; included options very frequently change with software release versions (and other products). Even Microsoft chooses to include some new functionality into new releases of Windows for which there was extra charge in previous versions; and car options change into standard functionality with a new version of a car (or just a year's model, for that matter) all the time. Modifying what's included in a base price is one of the most common things product marketing does, so not sure why, even if we did this, it would be *so* disappointing.

Quite simply because they've been waiting so long for 11.5 to fix some outstanding issues - and we're way past the initial dates suggested. If it had always been "11.5? Late Q4/10", then that'd be a different matter.
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move
Mobility - Messaging - Infrastructure - Security - Remote Access

Fingers crossed for Scalix having a strong future!

mxx

Postby mxx » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:15 am

Florian, thanks for this interesting update!

One question though:
Will 1.5 include Task support via ActiveSync? I thought that was planned originally. Did you omit it on purpose meaning it won't be in 1.5?

Thanks for some info. This feature is -obviously- very important for many of us.

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:14 pm

11.5 will have the server-side support to be able to do this with activesync.

the actual functionality would be in an updated minor release of scalix active sync, most likely a 1.1, that will *NEED* 11.5 as a prereq. I can't commit that such a new AS version would be co-released with 11.5, but it would make good sense to keep them close....

please bear in mind that not all activesync devices support task sync from their side. iPhone does not, for sure, and I also believe that Symbian MfE on Nokia does not support it. Windows Mobile does, no idea about WebOS or Android.

HTH,
Florian

mxx

Postby mxx » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Thnx for the update.

Symbian's MfE does support it (as part of calendar sync), Android's stock app doesn't, but there are many apps that add this functionality like Touchdown Exchange or Moxier.

Return to “Feedback”