Feature Request: Added functionality in SWA Search Window

General feedback

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

MDAFederal

Feature Request: Added functionality in SWA Search Window

Postby MDAFederal » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:04 pm

I have had a few users who work remotely using SWA come by and request the ability to Delete, move, basically manage emails within the Search Window in SWA. Currently the only thing you can do with that is Search and get the listing. The ability to then either move (drag & drop or have a menu option to "Move To Folder...") or delete these messages would be great. Currently, if you open the email via the Search window, the Delete is greyed out.

On another topic within SWA that would be harder to accomplish but would be beneficial mainly for those users who are almost solely using SWA would be a method of archiving email. Not 100% sure how this could be handled, but I have had a number of remote users who are hitting the 1 GB quota that are finding it harder to delete email to remain under quota, then we end up upping the quota and then the SWA interface slows as you increase in size, which becomes a vicious circle. These users are typically never at the home office, thus would not have any place to archive to PST as many of our office users can.

Awaiting SWA 11.5 that will add tasks, so that I can check that "request" off the list.

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Re: Feature Request: Added functionality in SWA Search Window

Postby florian » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:50 am

It is planned for some future version (not 11.5, to be clear) to get rid of the search results window and display search results as a temporary display in the main window. This would also achieve what you are looking for.

As for archiving, 11.5 will allow to download a single message as a .eml/.msg file; that probably wouldn't do what you want. Theoretically such functionality could be added to the client, however I have concerns whether downloading data in a web-based system to a local client workstation is really the right thing. If this type of archiving is needed, shouldn't that happen on the server and the mailboxes pruned in a centralized and admin-defined way on a regular basis?

The fact that Outlook, using their PSTs, offers a client-centric archiving system has caused administrators infinite grief and not few hope that that function never existed in the first place.

Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

MDAFederal

Postby MDAFederal » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:59 pm

I have seen the "Archive Server" as one of the services running, but have never found much, if any, documentation on the topic.

Archiving on the server so that these messages would be retrievable by the user and that it would be separate from their main mailbox is ideal, and would help to remove the thousands of GBs wasted by many users PST files that are littered about the network. If this is currently possible with 11.4.5, then can you point me to some documentation on how it works?

acodring

Postby acodring » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Here's a link to how one of the archiving vendors does it:

http://messagepartners.com/esupport/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=48&nav=0

Archive Scalix messages using MPP
Solution This article contains information about archiving Scalix messages using MPP.

Scalix Enterprise is providing archiving feature using Archiver service. Archiver service can store messages in a local path: individual or in single file, send a bcc copy for each message to another account, create SMTP session to remote host or using a script. For MPP we'll use the same technique as for Microsoft Exchange 2003 Journalized Messages, while for Scalix Enterprise we'll use BCC archive option.

Return to “Feedback”