Scalix 11.4.4 Upgrade

General feedback

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Scalix 11.4.4 Upgrade

Postby les » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Would just like to send out many thanks to the Scalix Team.

I just upgraded from 11.4.3 to 11.4.4 in literally 10 minutes! No problems whatsoever. None of my custom configs were overwritten. Ofcourse this may be different if you're upgrading from a version earlier than 11.4.3 so check the release notes and backup custom settings etc.

I have not got to test activesync yet, thats on the cards soon. (actually need an activesync device i guess ;} )

Thanks Scalix Team and keep up the good work!
Regards,

Les Stott

seankoshy

Re: Scalix 11.4.4 Upgrade

Postby seankoshy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:58 am

Couldn't agree more ... installed in 5 minutes - no issues - didn't even need a restart, and my custom relays in smtpd.cfg were also saved.
Hoping to deploy more outlook clients now that vista / 2k7 issues are being worked out.

Worth the wait! :D

konman

Postby konman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:21 am

les wrote:Would just like to send out many thanks to the Scalix Team.

I just upgraded from 11.4.3 to 11.4.4 in literally 10 minutes! No problems whatsoever. None of my custom configs were overwritten. Ofcourse this may be different if you're upgrading from a version earlier than 11.4.3 so check the release notes and backup custom settings etc.

I have not got to test activesync yet, thats on the cards soon. (actually need an activesync device i guess ;} )

Thanks Scalix Team and keep up the good work!

les - do you realise that you have to purchase another license for ActiveSync? Im in Oz as well and have enquired. Pricing seems reasonable. - PM me if you wish - Im curious to see what you get quoted from your Oz distributor...

KonMan.

acodring

Postby acodring » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:45 am

I just upgraded from 11.4.3 to 11.4.4 in literally 10 minutes!

Couldn't agree more ... installed in 5 minutes - no issues - didn't even need a restart,

Is there some kind of contest going on here?

"That's nothing! I upgraded my Scalix Server in 3 minutes, going uphill both ways!"
:)

More seriously, it's great to hear the upgrade is going well for you both.

Cheers,
Andrew

bijankhabiri

Postby bijankhabiri » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:02 am

Hi, is it safe to upgrade the Scalix Outlook connector without upgrading the server? We are currently running version 11.4.0.11344 with 500+ Outlook 2007 clients and I would be very interested to see if the new connector fixes our Outlook / Smartcache problems.

Thanks

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby les » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:59 pm

bijankhabiri wrote:Hi, is it safe to upgrade the Scalix Outlook connector without upgrading the server? We are currently running version 11.4.0.11344 with 500+ Outlook 2007 clients and I would be very interested to see if the new connector fixes our Outlook / Smartcache problems.

Thanks

Please read the release notes.

in short, NO. The server must always be the same version or newer than the connector.
Regards,

Les Stott

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:02 pm

les wrote:
bijankhabiri wrote:Hi, is it safe to upgrade the Scalix Outlook connector without upgrading the server? We are currently running version 11.4.0.11344 with 500+ Outlook 2007 clients and I would be very interested to see if the new connector fixes our Outlook / Smartcache problems.

Thanks

Please read the release notes.

in short, NO. The server must always be the same version or newer than the connector.

With that said, I have broken the rules and installed the 11.4.3 connector against a 11.4.2 server...and once again the 11.4.4 connector against a 11.4.3 server...each time for about a week for testing purposes and have never run into any issues.

And FYI...Smartcache performance has gotten much much better since 11.4.0. I would highly recommend you upgrade your setup.

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby les » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:27 pm

billb3 wrote:With that said, I have broken the rules and installed the 11.4.3 connector against a 11.4.2 server...and once again the 11.4.4 connector against a 11.4.3 server...each time for about a week for testing purposes and have never run into any issues.

And FYI...Smartcache performance has gotten much much better since 11.4.0. I would highly recommend you upgrade your setup.

Well, you can do it but Scalix won't support it. So, if you do have a problem and need scalix support they'll tell you its not a supported configuration. From the Release Notes.....

We recommend you upgrade all components at the same time if possible. If you can't do all systems at once, follow these rules:
* You can run Outlook with a Scalix 10.0.x MAPI connector against a Scalix 11 server.
* You must not run Outlook with a Scalix 11 MAPI connector against a Scalix 10 server. This combination can cause invalid data in the message store and interoperability issues.
* You can run a Scalix 11 SWA web server against a Scalix 10 server. You cannot run a Scalix 10 SWA web server against a Scalix 11 server.
* You can use a Scalix 11 Management server to manage a server installed with Scalix 10. You cannot use a Scalix 10 Management server to manage a server installed with Scalix 11.
* It is supported to run Outlook with an older Scalix Connector version against a newer server, e.g. you can run Scalix Connect for Outlook 11.1 against a Scalix 11.4.4 server. It is not supported to run Outlook with a newer Scalix Connector version against an older server, e.g. you cannot run Scalix Connect for Outlook 11.4.4 against a Scalix 11.3 server. You must always upgrade all your servers first before upgrading Scalix Connect for Outlook.

So, you do it at your own risk.

Besides, the server upgrade is so easy, as reported by many users, why wouldn't you upgrade the server as well?
Regards,

Les Stott

Return to “Feedback”