General feedback

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Feature Request: enhance sxmboxexp to be somewhat incrementa

Postby les » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Hi,

I rely on sxmboxexp for "bricks level" backup of mailboxes and public folders nightly and it does work nicely. In an exchange world i like exmerge, or there are plenty of third party apps that cost $$.

my problem....sxmboxexp exports the entire mailbox for each user each night. Thus i may end up with 5 2gb exported mailboxes over 5 days, total 10gb used say on a usb drive and each time it takes 20 minutes to export each night (numbers are just plucked out of the air here, but you see what i'm getting at). Consider that perhaps only 100mb changed over that 5 days i could have 1 2gb file and 4 other files up to 100mb in size and each "incremental" may only take a minte or 2. Don't get me wrong it still works, but i'd like to handle things a bit more efficiently.

I would like it if sxmboxexp could either do one of the following:

1. do incremental based exports such that only changes since the last sxmboxexp was done are included.

2. implement date grouping exactly like exmerge does. i.e. add options to sxmboxexp to export a mailbox from a specific "date range" only.

3. If you are overwriting the same sxmboxexp file for each mailbox each time can sxmboxexp be smart and just append changes

Exmerge does option 2 and 3 nicely.

In a typical config you tell exmerge to export based on yearly quarter. It then writes a pst to a subdirectory (like 2009-Q2) but only exports mail for that quarter from each mailbox. and each subsquent run only updates each pst file until we get to Q3 and a new directory is created etc. You still export a full mailbox and it still seperates into 2007-Q1 2007-Q2 2006-Q3 etc etc. But all that history is "stagnate" and only needs to be exported once.

Is something like this possible?
Regards,

Les Stott

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Re: Feature Request: enhance sxmboxexp to be somewhat incrementa

Postby billb3 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:37 am

+1!

Richard Hall
Scalix
Scalix

Postby Richard Hall » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:50 am

Hi Les,

Definitely a feature worth serious consideration. I've added a enhancement request for this:
https://bugzilla.scalix.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20022

Cheers - Richard

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:50 am

I agree with Les. Useful idea.

Return to “Feedback”