Localization/Translation of SCALIX

General feedback

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

svendsen

Localization/Translation of SCALIX

Postby svendsen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi,

Now after happy use of SCALIX (and Samsung Contact and HP Open Mail) in several years, I'm still missing some localization/translation posibilities. Fx with Zarafa everything (or major part) is translated into several languages... maybe they have bigger community/development group - I don't know :-)

In SCALIX you have to edit xml file (for SWA) to translate SWA. That's ok. But now... I don't understand why these translations isn't shared / contributed / embedded into SCALIX software.

Localizing/Translating Outlook connector is simply too complicated / big job. It should also be simple string file / XML file like SWA. And these translations should also be shared (or embedded directly).

Some users has asked how to translate SAC. IIRC this is still not possible? It's not that big deal for me, because every server user interfaces are in English anyway... but still... if you have used same programming design patterns as with SWA - it should not be that big deal to arrange some XML-files here as well...

Last thing I miss is the ability to manage public folders from SAC. It's quite surprising that after so many years it's still not possible to create/edit/delete public folders from SAC. Yes you can do it from command line... yes there is a plugin to ADD public folders... and yes I could develop plugins for managing public folders myself... but I find public folders so close/connected to an messaging system like SCALIX that this functionality SHOULD be included directly into SAC.

When that is said - I just LOVE SCALIX! Looking very much forward to the upcoming versions !

Regards,
Michael

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Re: Localization/Translation of SCALIX

Postby Valerion » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:51 am

SAC itself is opensourced, so you can modify the language yourself. But yes, that means you have to do it every time. I suggest you talk to Florian about this, but I think this is what https://forge.scalix.com/ is all about.

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:42 pm

svendsen wrote:Last thing I miss is the ability to manage public folders from SAC. It's quite surprising that after so many years it's still not possible to create/edit/delete public folders from SAC. Yes you can do it from command line... yes there is a plugin to ADD public folders... and yes I could develop plugins for managing public folders myself... but I find public folders so close/connected to an messaging system like SCALIX that this functionality SHOULD be included directly into SAC.

It's something I personally don't miss at all, as what I do is to login to SWA with the very same admin account I use for SAC and setup folder structures there. The point is that it's not only about creating top-level folders, but also about assigning rights, setup typed folders, etc., so by the time it's really done the stack of functionality is quite complex and has substantial overlap with SWA - not sure if that would really make sense.

Florian
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

svendsen

Postby svendsen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:26 pm

I can follow your point of view... some of the way, Florian :-)
What I actually miss is the ability to create email-to-publicfolder email addresses. AFAIK that is not possible from either SAC/SWA.

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:40 pm

:-) Now ... that makes a lot more sense - and it's indeed on the list of open enhancements for SAC, just not sure when it's going to happen. :-)

Florian.

svendsen

Postby svendsen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Okay - great ! :-)

What about localization of Outlook? WIll it be easier? I would be more than happy to help with localization. But as it is now it is too big job editing the resource file.. :-(

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:11 pm

Not anytime, soon, I'm afraid. We are using Windows' way of managing resources, and that requires compile-time creation of resource files to achieve the result. So changing this would be a massive change to the connector.

We've had various people being very successful using the prescribed process.

Florian.

Return to “Feedback”