New phpBB version - feedback?

General feedback

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

Should we enable RSS feeds for the Scalix Forums?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:49 pm

What took you so long? (YES please)
73%
I'm already declaring feed bankruptcy daily! (NO thanks)
27%

Total votes: 15

acodring

"Show posts since last visit" = "View new posts"?

Postby acodring » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi!

tdeklein wrote:I really liked the "show posts since last visit" feature, but I think with activated RSS-Feeds I can live without it.

Does the 'View new posts' link near the top of the forum home page give the behaviour you are looking for?
The link it uses is search.php?search_id=newposts.

Cheers,
Andrew

tdeklein

Re: "Show posts since last visit" = "View new posts"?

Postby tdeklein » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:24 am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for for hint.
acodring wrote:
tdeklein wrote:I really liked the "show posts since last visit" feature, but I think with activated RSS-Feeds I can live without it.

Does the 'View new posts' link near the top of the forum home page give the behaviour you are looking for?
The link it uses is search.php?search_id=newposts.

Yes it does. I noticed it a short time after my posting. So let me rephrase to just "RSS-Feeds would be a great addition" :-)

jangi

Re: New phpBB version - feedback?

Postby jangi » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Is searching functionality still being improved? Still seems.... poor.

acodring

Forum search results & indexing

Postby acodring » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi jangi,
The search reindexing job completed at 18:30EDT yesterday, a little after your post.

No question it's basic but the search tool should now be behaving essentially the same as it was prior to the upgrade.
If the results you get are still "...poor" can you give some examples of searches you've tried?

They don't let me touch the controls here (for good reason!), but if readers have recommendations for phpBB search best practices or tools I'd be happy to advocate in the lunch room!

Cheers,
Andrew

acodring

RSS feeds enabled

Postby acodring » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:57 pm

In case you haven't noticed it (we didn't pay extra for the fireworks show), RSS feeds are now enabled.

If your browser is hip to the program you should be seeing the RSS icon in your browser chrome.
Firefox and Safari put icons to the far right of the address bar, Internet Explorer puts it in between the 'Home' and 'Print' icons.

If you've been having so much fun with your Scalix email system that you missed the news about the wonders of RSS, I'd recommend this site as a starting point.

jangi

Postby jangi » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Timing is everything, searching is much better now.
Thanks

mhoroschun

Postby mhoroschun » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:36 pm

I'm seeing two of every post in the RSS feed. Is it just me?

Matt

anybody

Postby anybody » Mon May 04, 2009 10:20 am

I would love to subscribe to new topics in the "Board index ‹ Scalix General ‹ Announcements" Board.

However, in this particular part of the Forum, the "Subscribe forum" link doesn't exist (at the very bottom of the page in the other subforums).
Kind of sad since that would have been an easy way to get notified of new versions :D

acodring

Postby acodring » Thu May 07, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanks for noticing that. 'Subscribe Forum' now appears at the bottom on Announcements (and every other forum I checked).

While we're on the subject of subscriptions, notifications, and distribution of information, I'll offer 30 karma points to the first poster with the Scalix command to add the RSS feed for Scalix General - Announcements into their Public Folders for convenient viewing by all their users via the client of their choice...

Only 10 points if you need a hint. :-)

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:08 pm

acodring wrote:While we're on the subject of subscriptions, notifications, and distribution of information, I'll offer 30 karma points to the first poster with the Scalix command to add the RSS feed for Scalix General - Announcements into their Public Folders for convenient viewing by all their users via the client of their choice...

/opt/scalix/bin/sxpfadd -p -f "Scalix Announcements" -t "RSS" -u "http://www.scalix.com/forums/rss.php?f=1"

Mouseclone

Postby Mouseclone » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:44 am

The search appears to be down. I could really use it right now. I will create a post, but I would prefer to search first.

Search for "could not retrieve the settings information for the selected user" doesn't work. I get a time out.

Code: Select all

504 Gateway Time-out
nginx/0.6.34

works for smaller searches though.

acodring

Postby acodring » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:53 am

Thanks for reporting that. I was able to reproduce by searching for "one two three four five six seven eight nine ten".
It worked (but didn't find much, as expected!) when I searched on "one two three four five six seven eight nine".

Looks like a timeout value somewhere could be relaxed. I've asked the web team to look into it.

Cheers,
Andrew

MariaScott

Postby MariaScott » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:40 am

I really liked the "show posts since last visit" feature, but I think with activated RSS-Feeds I can live without it.

Mouseclone

Postby Mouseclone » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:57 pm

I'm not sure what it is, but the site seems to be extremely slow when pulling up threads. Sometimes it is about 5 minutes and it finally times out. Any Ideas?

Mouseclone

Postby Mouseclone » Tue May 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Still the same issues with treads. I can search all day long, then when selecting a thread, it just takes a really long time. Not sure what it is but almost every hop to scalix.com is though level3. Just wanted to let you all know. This really sucks.

Return to “Feedback”