Scalix Star

Postby les » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:57 am

Regards,

Les Stott

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:01 am

You are correct. They do now for me as well. Wonder if it was a proxy caching issue somewhere?

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:09 am

Les, Braam,

I won't comment in detail on this, yet even though these posts contain internal links that we haven't made public I won't delete them from the forum either. I'll only say that we reserve the right to change or remove such non-public URLs in the future.

The background of all these changes is that we're modifying some part of the backend infrastructure for downloads - one of the benefits is higher available bandwidth and better tracking of download numbers of us internally. At this point, the Xandros ESD infrastructure we're using for this provides for a number of benefits out of the box, i.e. without any new stuff we have to build, so we're using it. Unfortunately, support for direct wget downloads is not one of them and to re-enable that officially, we would have to make changes again and I'm simply not sure if that's money well spent on our side.

So - while I'm looking into the topic of email-less downloads still - as mentioned below - I'll have to ask that you accept the new setup, even though it may cause minor inconveniences in some situations; the scheme we're following is used elsewhere in the industry and should be workable for most situations. And if I really need to do an onsite setup, I usually carry a USB stick with the files around with me anyway. :-)

Sorry to not be of much more help here, but hope it works for you anyway.

Florian
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:27 am

Florian,

I've edited my previous post to remove some stuff.

However, I do quite a few remote upgrades, where I have no physical access to the server. I have to either SCP it to the server from where I downloaded it, or download it on the server. Usually downloading it is faster, as I have a fairly small upload bandwidth.

To ensure minimal disruption of the clients' network while I download the package, I normally set wget to download the package and put some bandwidth throttles on it and background it into a screen session. When the download is done the next day or so I connect and run the update. Doing this in a browser like elinks is a lot harder to do.

But I can understand Xandos' point in this and accept it :) Just wanted to point out my arguments if the system is ever reconsidered in the future.

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:32 am

Just a side-note. I received my Enterprise download email for 11.4.3 and it still contains the old-style links. This works perfectly for me, so thanks for that, Xandros.

Return to “Feedback”