ActiveSync in 11.4

General feedback

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

anybody

Re: ActiveSync in 11.4

Postby anybody » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:03 am

1) It is accurate. No IMAP Idle, at least not in Firmware 2.x

3) This is so true. I know LOTS of businesses with < 10 users that would be very interested in a good solution for their calendaring needs that supports phones well (usually iPhone and/or Blackberry). You currently do not serve them at all by only offering licenses starting at 20 Users. If I'd offer a 20-User server to a 3-User company, I'd guess they'd laugh at me :D

how many Premium and Standard Users would you require, how many of those would need to be enabled for ActiveSync, would you need commercial-grade Anti-Spam and/or Anti-Virus functionality, and would you be willing to switch to a commercial Scalix version if we create a package that's just right for you?

Please offer a 5-User and a 10-User commercial license! If your reseller network causes too much overhead for cheaper licensees to be distributed efficiently then just sell THOSE licensees yourself in an online store on your site.
If you need to bundle Activesync support (instead of having that selectable) with the main package I'd say 50% of the users. But then again this would send money to Microsoft for users that don't actually use it so why not make the number of users totally selectably when buying it ? Finding an online store that supports this should not cause you too much trouble!

I don't care about Anti-Spam or Anti-Virus total - waste of time & money IMHO :D
(Clients need Anti-Virus anyway, and Spamhaus does a pretty good job of denying spam delivery, from your documentation it seems to me that your bundled Anti-Spam solution doesn't really do much more than that)

PS: Just a week ago I bought 5x Syncing.NET (which is 599$ according to their website) for a company with 4 users. Using Scalix would have made things more complicated and costly (needs extra server, maintenance) but I would probably gone the Scalix route IF you had offered an interesting package for a business of that size (why? Because sooner or later they are going to ask me about phones and Syncing.NET does not (and will not) provide a good phone Sync solution!)

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:26 am

anybody wrote:If I'd offer a 20-User server to a 3-User company, I'd guess they'd laugh at me :D

Well, isn't that a matter of perception rather than reality? I mean... if I had to sell this, I wouldn't sell it as "a 20-User server". I'd sell it as "a Small Business highly integrated Mail Server serving up to 20 Users". Sounds quite different, doesn't it? And the numbers for a 3-User company may not make full sense (but then, realistically - should a 3-people company run their own server(s) at all? aren't they better off using some hosted (and maybe Scalix as well!) service? I think just the electrical bill for any kind of machine is too expensive in this case!), but thinking of a 5-7 user company, if you take the SBE-20 price, add 5 or 10 ActiveSync entitlements to that, divide it by the number of users, you still end up with a pretty acceptable price per user, one-time. It's fundamentally the same price range as a Microsoft SBS offering for 5 users, and if you just have a few more users it gets cheaper. Why doesn't that fly for you, just curious? Sure, most people would prefer to pay less, but then, nobody is asking the auto makers for a 3 seat car, based on the statement that they are never planning to use that fourth seat, or similar. Things come in certain packagings and sizes and it's very usual to buy the next larger one that meets my needs. Even eggs... unless you have a store that sells single ones, it's usuall 6 or 12, never 8, which is what you may need for the Tiramisu you want to make? :-)

I don't care about Anti-Spam or Anti-Virus - Waste of Time & Money IMHO :D

Well, Commtouch uses a slightly more advanced technique based on looking at billions of messages every day and establishing statistical patterns, not content, and certainly more than IP reputation, which I believe is what Spamhaus is based on. We use our solution internally and I'm pretty happy with the results. One interesting experiment - and I would encourage you to try - is to add our stuff and run it after your existing stuff and see how much further Spam it filters out or tags correctly. Download the eval, it comes with a key for this for 30 days, and let me know how it goes! (off-topic here, please start a new thread!)

Cheers,
Florian
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

anybody

Postby anybody » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:22 am

florian wrote:if I had to sell this, I wouldn't sell it as "a 20-User server". I'd sell it as "a Small Business highly integrated Mail Server serving up to 20 Users"

Sure, but still they'd have to pay the same as a 20-User company (or even 60-User company if standard users play a role).
Charging the same for a 3-User company than for a 60-User company just doesn't seem fair to me.

florian wrote:aren't they better off using some hosted (and maybe Scalix as well!) service?

Could be a possibility, but not all want to give their infrastructure and data to a 3rd party.
Then again I don't know anyone offering hosted Scalix and your Website (especially the german one which has been down for a long time now) doesn't really help me find one, at least not at first glance :?

florian wrote:It's fundamentally the same price range as a Microsoft SBS offering for 5 users, and if you just have a few more users it gets cheaper. Why doesn't that fly for you, just curious?

Sure, that may be competitive with Microsoft SBS - but your main competitor in this space is not Microsoft but non-consumption and workaround things like Syncing.NET.

Also, I don't really see why you are so hesistant to undercutting Microsoft in order to gain additional customers. I am pretty sure that the number of businesses that buy a 20-User license from Scalix in order to provide their 5 users with calendaring and eMail is slim at best. By offering a 5 and 10 user-licence you could open up Scalix to a whole new market while suffering only very slight losses from existing customers (who then only need to buy a 10-user license instead of 20 for their small company).

florian wrote:Things come in certain packagings and sizes and it's very usual to buy the next larger one that meets my needs. Even eggs... unless you have a store that sells single ones, it's usuall 6 or 12, never 8, which is what you may need for the Tiramisu you want to make? :-)

They do and it sucks ! But WHY should they ? In a supermarket it makes sense because they can't stock everything in every single size (handling costs go up).

But what we are talking about here is entirely VIRTUAL, we are talking about paying money to make scalix send me an email (with the license key) and to make a database entry (with the expiration if I decide to renew).

Why the hell should THAT be available only in fixed size packages ? Thare is entirely NO reason for that. Except maybe that you are stuck in the "sell-our-software-through-distributors-and-retailers" model.

And to come back to your supermarket example: Here is another (silly but true) supermarket example: I don't buy butter because I only seldom use it and if I buy one package at least two thirds of it will go bad before I need it. This sucks, both for me (I have no butter even though I want it once in a while) and for the butter industry (they sell less butter even though I would like one). Now in the supermarket the advantages of a single-size will certainly outweigh the disadvantage of me not buying butter.
But when selling a virtual product, forcing your potential customers into non-consumption does not not have ANY advantages at all.

florian wrote:Commtouch uses a slightly more advanced technique based on looking at billions of messages every day and establishing statistical patterns, not content, and certainly more than IP reputation, which I believe is what Spamhaus is based on.

Since it uses statistical patters Commtouch will not be able to make a yes/no decision and does not prevent a single spam message this way! It only pre-sorts them, but due to the possibility of false-positives you have to look at the spam anyway to check for false-positives!

WIKI wrote:If you have a non Scalix relay in place in front of the Scalix system running the detection software you will see very poor detection rates as the IP of the relay is used when analyzing incoming mails.

Your wiki even openly admits that the statistical analysis is not helping much and that the IP is the important thing that's considered :)

florian wrote:tags correctly

Thats exactly the point, I see absolutely no point in tagging spam. Spam has to be REJECTED by the mailserver instead of accepted and put into /Junk ! Only then will it really save the user time. And if someone really wants their spam pre-sorted / tagged: Both Outlook and Thunderbird already can do this, so Commtouch will only help SWA or mobile users.

Ok, I have to admit that pre-sorting/tagging does have its advantages in a mobile-use or SWA scenario: But why should I care? With IP based Blocklists like Spamhaus I can elimitate >> 90% or the spam, the remaining 5-10% are for most users only a few messages a day (at most). Just deleting them on sight is easy and does not cause any trouble that would make the checking of a Junk folder for false positives a much better alternative.

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:53 am

OK, probably time to wrap up.

1. For us, it's about minimum order size and complexity. Minimum order matters because there is a certain per-customer overhead that can't be avoided. In the EU, e.g., we are required to provide some level of support/warranty with an initial purchase. Even if we limit this to 1 incident, this has cost associated with it, so on a, say, 100 EUR product, given the relative complexity of even that ONE support question, we'd be losing money. That's the this post will be deleted truth. Can't do. We could probably go somewhat lower than SBE-20 is today, but there is a limit. The accounting and transaction cost is also not purely virtual. Furthermore, if you open the door to purchases very small and very flexible (say: by-user!), in a mail server solution you end up having to offer the same for additional users, only that then transaction sizes would get even smaller. In the SBE range, we'd talk about selling a single add-on user for, say, 20 or 30 dollar or Euro. That doesn't fly. And, unlike a larger software vendor like Microsoft, we don't have a huge set of products to cross-subsidize to draw from. I am pretty certain that they lose money on some products, in the bigger picture of things they can afford this much easier than we do.

2. The channel (resellers, distributors) is important to us, in different ways in different markets. The main reason is that many Scalix implementations, even relatively small ones, have deployment scenarios associated with them, espeically when it comes to migrations and integrations. We rely on VARs to provide such services. Once one is committed to do just that, one needs to stick with such a model (it's really an either-or decision, per market), as otherwise you'd be basically eating the icing of their cake by taking all the very easy business yourself and only giving the complex "brick" projects to these folks. That's called "The Channel Conflict" and every vendor has to face that decision. We decided to be a good player with the channel, at least for most markets, and fundamentally only selling through them with very, very few exceptions is the logical consequence of that. That alone, however, doesn't make new and smaller products impossible per-se, it's just something that needs to be put into consideration.

Sure, but still they'd have to pay the same as a 20-User company (or even 60-User company if standard users play a role).
Charging the same for a 3-User company than for a 60-User company just doesn't seem fair to me.

Fairness is a very relative concept. A 3 user company, for Scalix SBE, would, based on SBE-20 and the minimum pack of 5 ActiveSync CALs, no AntiSpam/AntiVirus, pay about $130 per user per year for Scalix over a 3 year period, assuming they are using a no-cost operating system like CentOS. While this sounds like "a big number" initially, given the same people would pay their carrier about $600 per year for their iPhone subscriptions, I'd think that this cost created through the use of Scalix is very reasonable compared to what you get, with all our features. And if your company grows and you add a 4th and 5th employee, your carrier-side cost goes up linearly while your Scalix cost stays the same, up until when you hit the 20-user point. I think that's very, very fair play, actually. And it seems that we make it easier for companies to decide for hiring people, so we're good for the labour market as well. :-)

Then again I don't know anyone offering hosted Scalix and your Website (especially the german one which has been down for a long time now) doesn't really help me find one, at least not at first glance :?

Please get in touch with our sales team if you need a hosted offering; we'll put you in touch with one of our resellers or hosters that provided hosted Scalix services.

Sure, that may be competitive with Microsoft SBS - but your main competitor in this space is not Microsoft but non-consumption and workaround things like Syncing.NET.

With all respect, not true. I've been in this market for more than five years now, and with the exception of the odd Linux-based competitor that shows up at times, and now sometimes Google Apps, people typically decide between us and Exchange, simply because of the functionality footprint and Outlook support. Built-in ActiveSync support and some further announcements we're going to make over the next couple months will actually further support this situation.

And to come back to your supermarket example: Here is another (silly but true) supermarket example: I don't buy butter because I only seldom use it and if I buy one package at least two thirds of it will go bad before I need it. This sucks, both for me (I have no butter even though I want it once in a while) and for the butter industry (they sell less butter even though I would like one).

Well, it's a cost/benefit calculation and one of diminishing returns for the butter industry; I'm fairly certain that they've optimized their packaging. I noticed that you live in Germany, like me; we've also seen smaller packagings coming up than the traditional 250g (1 German pound) brick. Now, to solve this one, here's a learning from my late Grandmother: Butter doesn't really go bad just because it looks a bit yellowish. It lasts a couple months longer than you think. And if you really want to avoid any remains of "bad" taste (for most applications I personally don't care :-)), just cut off a bit at the edges - it doesn't go through, there is nothing poisonous about it and you'll be fine. :) Problem solved. The Scalix Forums Butter Thread. That's a first. ;-)

Since it uses statistical patters Commtouch will not be able to make a yes/no decision and does not prevent a single spam message this way! It only pre-sorts them, but due to the possibility of false-positives you have to look at the spam anyway to check for false-positives!

Well have you tried it? Here's my result after a year of experience (and I receive about 50K Email messages against my account every year).
- 2 spam levels, confirmed spam, likely spam
- we don't deliver "confirmed spam" to our users; we have, for a year now, kept them and not rejected them, for analysis. Not a single false positive in those. We'll stop the keeping and switch to rejecting.
- we do tag and deliver "likely spam" to our users; they sort them with rules. For me: about 10 false positives in a year in that category, and all of them were "mass emails", i.e. stuff coming semi-unsolicited from people sending (legal) advertisement because they had acquired my email address from some legal source. No single false positive in personal messages.
- about 50 false negatives (not recognized as either) for me over a whole year.
- no training, no white/blacklisting, zero (and I mean zero) admin for our over 200 users. none.

I must say... I've used many solutions for AntiSpam, but on balance it couldn't get much better than that, for me and for us as a company. Not trying to sell this here, I know there are other solutions out there that work as well, but I am very, very happy with it.

Florian.

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:17 pm

so....June 11th is almost over. Are we really going to see this today and still have time to purchase AS licenses?

And please, in the future...don't give dates or estimates. It only disappoints us when they aren't met :cry:
Last edited by billb3 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rlshepard

Postby rlshepard » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:23 pm

billb3 wrote:so....June 11th is almost over. Are we really going to see this today and still have time to purchase AS licenses?

:?: I second that... :lol:
It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem.

acodring

Postby acodring » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:43 pm

The web site looks different to me somehow. What's that funny looking device on the homepage? :-)

konman

Postby konman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:34 pm

acodring wrote:The web site looks different to me somehow. What's that funny looking device on the homepage? :-)

Woohoo!!! - so where is the announcement and download links!!!
..so do we just download the community edition and if you have a license it will all be ok?

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:16 am

Emails for commercial customers typically go out anywhere between 1 and 3 business days of the release.... So yeah, we're working on that, too. :-)

Florian

echelon

Postby echelon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:43 am

i was able to download the scalix updates by modifying the url's from the previous upgrade e-mail.

delumax

Postby delumax » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:04 am

Unbelievable! It seems to work..! ;-) .. Halleluja...

konman

Postby konman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:02 pm

....so what are the final license costs for this...keeping in mind that I am in Australia and the Aussie dollar is quite crap...

KonMan.

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Please contact a local reseller or distributor; prices vary slightly in different locations due to currency differences and local taxes.

http://www.scalix.com/about/partners/australia.php shows as list of Australian contact points. If you have any issues, you can also contact us direct via phone or mail - see http://www.scalix.com/about/contact/locations.php - or via our contact form at http://www.scalix.com/about/contact/

We'll see to get back to you as quickly as possible.

Florian

propagandhi

Postby propagandhi » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Are there any special steps that need to be taken in a multi node environment when running a dedicated activesync server?

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:02 pm

nope.pleas read the release and installation notes. these are public under http://www.scalix.com/documentation

Florian

Return to “Feedback”