ActiveSync in 11.4

General feedback

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

Clemens

ActiveSync in 11.4

Postby Clemens » Fri May 23, 2008 4:31 am

Second, we'll start shipping the optional ActiveSync module soon - this hasn't made this initial ship date as we're still refining some of the operations and it's in internal Beta right now.

Hi,

Will this module also work with the community edition or only with corporate versions? If it works for CE, are there any costs or price plans for it?

Thanks,

Clemens

Kris

Postby Kris » Fri May 23, 2008 7:57 am

Will it be possible to get an evaluation version of the AS module? I have several users (including me) who would be very pleased with the wireless AS, but I'd like to try it out before I consider buying it :wink:

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Fri May 23, 2008 12:04 pm

ActiveSync will only be available for the commercial versions of Scalix, both Small Business and Enterprise Editions.

As with all commercial products, you will be able to get an evaluation version.

Cheers,
Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:25 pm

Just curious if there are any updates, I thought the target for release/public beta was June. Thanks!

--Bill

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:31 pm

No definite one - I think the website officially says June/July - still in the works with dev and testing and I think it'll have to cook for a couple more days before it's really good and tender! :-)

Stay tuned,
Florian.

linuxuser

11.4.1 release termin

Postby linuxuser » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi,
Somebody knows the release date of v.11.4.1 with integrated activesync?
I need it for a customer with 2 Servers.
He stress me every day for this version!!
THX

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:47 pm

Scalix 11.4.1 is entering final QA stages as we speak and should be released in the next couple weeks. Scalix ActiveSync 1.0, which will ship as a separate product, should be ready as a public Beta right after that....

All pending the QA folks are happy with product quality, so no firm dates possible.

Florian.

Tobias

Postby Tobias » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:29 pm

For better understanding to myself. The need to a data plan meens, my server has to be able to send over GPRS, EDGE, UMTS with a ... mobile card? Any examples?

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:12 am

The server just needs to be http/https-accessible from the internet. The data plan is needed on the device side because it is the device that will establish a http/https connection with the server.

Florian.

Tobias

Postby Tobias » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:05 am

OK, thank you. Thought because of the Push-Technology the server has to tell: "hey, here is a message". Didn´t care about this stuff before, just interested!

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:12 am

what happens is that the client sets up a long-lived http/TCP connection, and over this the server then actually sends a Push-Ping when new stuff arrives....and as it's the same way Exchange is doing it, providers make sure that this works in their mobile IP networks... :-) All good.

Florian.

rtausend

Postby rtausend » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:22 am

will there be a comunity edition of the active-sync client available?

Regard
Robert

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:25 am

believe this has been answered in the thread before. Scalix ActiveSync is based on a commercial license from Microsoft and as such will be available as a commercial addon for Scalix Small Business and Enterprise Editions.

Cheers,
Florian.

rtausend

Postby rtausend » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:37 am

Hi Florian,

thanks for the fast replay, is there a possibility to only ad this functionality to the Community version? Or is it possible to get a "cheeper" Commercial license for Private use? I would realy use this fuction on my mobile with my private mailserver

Regards Robert

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:45 am

Hi Robert,

unfortunately the answer is no; one thing is that the license we have from Microsoft is something we have to pay for as well and we are offering the product at a pretty competitive pricing with very little profit on our side actually. We decided to go this way to be able to offer our customers a legally sound solution that is not reverse-engineered and also as full-featured as possible, based on the official specs from them.

Furthermore, please also - as a community user - understand that we have to continue offering some features for the commercial versions only as this is what we ultimately need to survive as a business. We're running a major and complex software development organisation with quite a number of people involved that rely on their paychecks - at the end of the day we need a certain level of commercial success to be able to provide things such as Scalix Community Edition for free, which we will happily continue to do.

We do believe, however, that making a cut with ActiveSync is logical and makes sense - most wireless devices would do mobile email over simple IMAP, which is free. Someone who really needs the additional features of ActiveSync, such as Push Email, wireless real-time calendar and contact synchronisation and system directory access is most likely someone who uses this for work or in a business. I think it is fair that such a person should pay us something, and given that the smallest packaging of Scalix is a Small Business Edition for 20 Users, that, together with ActiveSync, will sell for less than $1000 end user list price, I would feel it's reasonable.

If this is too expensive for you, you may want to look out for hosted Scalix altogether, which more and more hosting providers start offering. This is especially true as with rising energy cost, just running a full-fledged server machine on your own becomes expensive, especially when you add the cost to administer and maintain.....

All good things and sorry not to have better news here,
Florian.

Return to “Feedback”