Add to KB? - "system check" errors Fedora Core 4

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

bproven

Add to KB? - "system check" errors Fedora Core 4

Postby bproven » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:26 am

Just a heads up to those out there that may run into this problem.

Problem: Scalix installer will report failure on system check of "network" and "running services". However, it will not report the error in the GUI log details.

Reason: When installing Scalix and running under a user account that you have used to "su" to root, be aware that by default "/sbin" is NOT in your path (at least in my case ;)). The installer uses chkconfig and ifconfig to determine network settings and running services.

Solution: What I did was add /sbin to PATH in .bash_profile, logged out/in, su'ed and everything went fine.

I checked /var/log/ for the scalix log to discover the problem. I don't know if this is in the KB, but if it isn't I hope it saves some poor soul a bit of time :)

ScalixSupport
Scalix
Scalix

Postby ScalixSupport » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:28 pm

Hi. Thanks for your post. Yes, we do have a Knowledgebase solution for this. The URL is:

http://na1.salesforce.com/sol/public/se ... 0000002Te9

or you can go to our Knowledgebase and click on Solutions and search on "su".

The real problem here is that when you do an "su root" it doesn't create a login shell meaning it doesn't pick up the root's .login, .cshrc, etc files. You should do an "su - root" in order to really run as root.

Thanks,
Rachel

bproven

Thanks

Postby bproven » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:24 pm

You're right.

Its a shame but I did not know about "su -root". Didn't know you could pass the username in to obtain root's env. Maybe I should read the man file AND search the KB a little better next time. :)

Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Installation”