Evolution, missing calendar events

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

paikkos

Evolution, missing calendar events

Postby paikkos » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 am

Hi,

Is there a connector or some package I need to install to allow my evolution (2.32) calendar events work? Calendar events appear in the SWA but not on my desktop.
Thanks,
Dp.

echelon

Re: Evolution, missing calendar events

Postby echelon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:33 am

Scalix used to provide a plugin for Evolution to handle calendar and contacts. They stopped updating supported releases, but updated development versions would be available via SVN (seems to be on GIT now)

http://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-scalix/

3 problems:
The evolution plugin may not be compatible with your particular version of evolution.
If you aren't running the most recent release of your linux distro, you may have an older version of Evolution that does not include bug fixes.
Compiling a newer version of evolution on an "older" linux disto often involves recompiling gnome dependencies.

It was so unstable and so unreliable that I moved to thunderbird (which thunderbird-lightning ical plugin) instead. (I eventually moved away from Scalix altogether.)

I could never get ical support in evolution to work reliably.

paikkos

Postby paikkos » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:47 am

Oh. Not much good new there :shock:

I do recall trying to compile an evolution/scalix plugin in the past without success.

I am curious though, if you tried and gave up with Thunderbird and then gave up on Scalix, what solution did you opt for? I have Outlook on my window machine and I use a desktop KVM to switch between PCs but I would like to keep it all on one desktop.

Thanks,
Dermot.

echelon

Postby echelon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 am

For various reasons, we migrated to Exchange 2007. From the perspective of Linux users, Thunderbird worked just as well with Exchange as it did with Scalix, and the web-based option was much better. We had initially gone with Scalix since it had, at that time supported Evolution as a FULL FUNCTION client. FYI- Exchange does not have native ical support so it requires a 3rd party gateway. If scalix, on the other hand, does ever release an updated version you may find that Scalix + Thunderbird is a good small business product.

paikkos

Postby paikkos » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:13 am

That's heart sinking :cry:

There seem to be something ironic in the fact that a Linux based product can not find a means to support Linux desktop clients.
Thanks for the reply though. I guess I have to keep my windows box on the go.
Dp.

Return to “Installation”