Testing Community Scalix: demo site?

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

jangi

Re: Testing Community Scalix: demo site?

Postby jangi » Mon May 17, 2010 11:23 am

You won't be able to install Scalix unless you have root access to a server (running a supported distro/version).

There are Scalix hosting providers, but I'm not familiar with them.

IMHO, you should first become familiar with setting up a Linux server and the Linux cli... administering a Scalix server without this background knowledge will be quite... challenging at times.

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Mon May 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Agreed, You do need to know the basics of the CLI, at least. An option you can consider is installing CentOS (http://www.centos.org) inside a virtual machine, running on your Windows machine. I normally use VirtualBox for this, but VMware will work as well. This will give you a chance to experience the system for yourself, without requiring new hardware.

jangi

Postby jangi » Tue May 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Okay. Well, I'd highly recommend you look at a hosted exchange account. You're not going to find anything you can install on your current provider that will do what you want. Also, you may want to do some research on your particular Android-based phone and see how well the exchange integration works. I know it's not as seamless as a Windows Mobile based phone.

rewart01

Postby rewart01 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:13 pm

There are a number of Scalix hosting partners out there. It is an excellent product when run this way - effectively "Hosted Exchange" but run on Scalix.

The option to have standard and premium accounts provides a good price competitive option compared to M$ hosted exchange.

You might want to look at the Scalix Partner page. I won't recommend our company as that might be inappropriate (we are not listed either).

But I would DEFINATELY recommend Digital Adrenaline. The owner is highly involved with Scalix on the forums and such and I know of his services personally.

The Scalix Partner page is:
http://www.scalix.com/about/partners/northamerica.php

Rick

Return to “Installation”