sendmail an port 25 ?

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

marcoscalix

sendmail an port 25 ?

Postby marcoscalix » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi all,

after setting up a Scalix server I can send mails from internal to external, from internal to internal and from external to internal using telnet - evth. fine.
However once utilizing any client like Thunderbird the whol thing doesn´t work anymore, Thunderbird throws "Connection refused", and within the Scalix logs I do find the "cant read file EOF" error.

After some hours in the forum I assume the issue is related to sendmail as well as Scalix lsitening on port 25, however I did not find any point in the documentation which explains properly how things need to be set up. What´s additionally unclear to me is which :25 is repsonsible for handling which mails ?

Can anyone shed some light, or guide me into the right direction (e.g. documentation point to start with) ?

Thanks & Rgds,
Marco

ltward

Re: sendmail an port 25 ?

Postby ltward » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:53 pm

In a plain vanilla installation...

sendmail should be listening on localhost port 25:
# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 sxlab.mydomain.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8; Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:46:36 -0400

SMTP Relay should be listening on FQHN port 25:
# telnet sxlab.mydomain.net 25
Trying 192.168.0.121...
Connected to sxlab.mydomain.net (192.168.0.121).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 sxlab.mydomain.net ESMTP Scalix SMTP Relay 11.4.5.13150; Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:47:29 -0400 (EDT)

Perhaps you have your Thunderbird client set up to use secure SMTP? i.e. perhaps it's connecting to port 465 and your Scalix server is not listening on port 465?

marcoscalix

Re: sendmail an port 25 ?

Postby marcoscalix » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:48 pm

lsof also shows that sendmail is listening on localhost, whereas omsmtpd is on the fqdn ip (at least the nat´ted one).
Thua that part works okay, I can also see packets coming in and out when doing tcpdump on the server.

However I do get the "EOF" error messages.

What I didn´t understand is why this construct of having to smtp´s running on prt 25 is required, and which one is being utilized for which mail transport ?

marcoscalix

Re: sendmail an port 25 ? ** solved **

Postby marcoscalix » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:54 pm

Doh... stupidity issue.

Issue is resolved - root cause had been a rule within the heuristic firewall preventing connections from mail clients but having let telnet sessions passed OK.

As far as the differentiation in between the "dualport 25" - SMTP is concerned: I´m still interested in an explanation or documentation hint.

Return to “Installation”