Need Help with sending email out of Scalix

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

HamishMcMurray

Need Help with sending email out of Scalix

Postby HamishMcMurray » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:03 pm

I am currently evaluating Scalix with a view to switching from our existing email system. I have installed a trial version (on Centos) and 'out of the box' my Scalix server will receive emails sent to it from our MailMarshal system and will send emails out via the internet.

I would now like to change the server to send all external emails to my MailMarshal server which is on the local LAN (so that it can apply it's rules to the messages before sending them on).

So far I have:
Set the MailMarshal server to accept mail from my Scalix server IP address (and tested it with a different mail program).
changed a line in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc to read define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.mailmarshal.com')dnl
run the command: m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf
added a line in /etc/hosts to read xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mail.mailmarshal.com mail
restart sendmail with the command: /etc/init.d/sendmail restart

Is there something else I need to do as it's not working? Most other packages I've looked at have an option to set the IP of an external SMTP server within their admin colsole.

By the way I'm also new to Linux :oops:

Thanks.

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Re: Need Help with sending email out of Scalix

Postby Valerion » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:04 pm

Setting the smarthost should work. You can also run make in /etc/mail instead of invoking m4 directly.

Have a look in /var/log/maillog and see where the mails are going out to.

HamishMcMurray

Re: Need Help with sending email out of Scalix

Postby HamishMcMurray » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:27 am

I've figured out a solution :)

I've set the line to read: define(`SMART_HOST', `[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]')dnl (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = IP Address of my SMTP server)

So it forwards all outgoing mail to the IP address of my SMTP server rather than having to do any name lookups.

Return to “Installation”