importing previous exported mailboxes

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

brian.schnautz

importing previous exported mailboxes

Postby brian.schnautz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Hello,
I would like to upgrade us to the latest community edition of Scalix 11.4.5. We are currently running 11.4.1.
I think there are several ways to do this. I personally think the cleanest way to do it would be to migrate the user's mailboxes (7) to a fresh install of 11.4.5. Plus I'm trying to get my Scalix server off of bare metal into a VM. Right now I back up all the user mailboxes daily within a script with:

Code: Select all

sxmboxexp -u "${user}" -a ${MBOXDIR}/"${user}".mbox

Now since I have all the mailboxes in the scalix mbox dump format, I think I can create all the user mailboxes in the fresh install and then simply pump each user's mailbox into the new mailbox with:

Code: Select all

sxmboximp -a /path/to/file/user.mbox --user "John Doe"

Can I please get anyone's opinion if doing this will turn out successful or if there is a more preferred method. I just know that upgrading can get real messy and I would like to keep my new install as clean as possble.
Thanks,
Brian

kanderson

Re: importing previous exported mailboxes

Postby kanderson » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:16 pm

You'll want to build up the VM. Then use rsync to copy /var/opt/scalix from the old server to the new one.

When you run the Scalix installer, it'll do the upgrade of the existing message store.

Kev.

kanderson

Postby kanderson » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:26 pm

Remember to keep the same hostname on the old and new servers.

After the rsync is complete, shut off the old server, and change the new server's IP to be the same as the old server's IP. Then restart, just to be sure.

Kev.

brian.schnautz

Postby brian.schnautz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks for all you help! I greatly appreciate it!

Return to “Installation”