Upgrading

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

smpoole7

Upgrading

Postby smpoole7 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:55 pm

We're going to move to a different Dell Poweredge and upgrade from Scalix 11.4.2 to 11.4.5. Here's the catch: I'd like to change the hostname as well. The current hostname is "pop.ourdomain.com." I want to change to "mail.ourdomain.com."

What are the gotchas and "get me" issues that I'll need to watch for? I've upgraded Scalix and moved the mailstore in the past, so I'm not afraid of that. The change in hostname, however, is something new for me.

Thanks in advance for any response.

-- Stephen

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Re: Upgrading

Postby Valerion » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:27 pm

Read the instructions on the wiki regarding this, should give you all the info you need. However, if at all possible I would recommend you not do it, there's quite a few things that could break, e.g. PostgreSQL and routing table entries / mailnode mapping entries in a multi-server environment.

You may be able to get away with adding a CNAME to your DNS entries that lets mail point to pop.

smpoole7

Postby smpoole7 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks, Valerian. One reason why I want to change the hostname is because we're going to retire the "pop" domain and move to "mail." "Pop" will be used for a different purpose entirely. Besides, if the new server has the same name as the old, I'm afraid I might repeat the damage done the last time we upgraded (namely, accidentally deleting the wrong mailstore!). :)

I'll refer to the wiki. The good news is, we can build this server as "mail," then thoroughly test it before putting it on line. At that point, the old "pop" Scalix server will be retired, its hardware reassigned to other purposes. In this economy, there's a lot "reuse" going on .. .. :)

pollock

Postby pollock » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:13 pm

At this point you should be able to launch Evolution, and be presented with the Account Setup Druid. I found that I had to run through it about 4 times before it completed successfully: It got stuck on synchronizing my Calendar, then again on my Contacts. Once that completed, however, Evolution launched and ran reasonably well.
I find that it does crash fairly regularly, which is deeply annoying, but I haven't sleuthed out why yet.

Return to “Installation”