My first server. Problems and advice needed

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

markrich

Re: My first server. Problems and advice needed

Postby markrich » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:26 am

Okay I took a look in the file /tomcat/logs/scalix-caa.log and this info was at the end.

2009-06-18 12:24:37,265 ERROR [LDAPHelperUtils.findUser:374] javax.naming.AuthenticationException: [LDAP: error code 49 - Invalid Credentials]
2009-06-18 12:24:37,285 ERROR [LDAPHelperUtils.findUser:374] javax.naming.AuthenticationException: [LDAP: error code 49 - Invalid Credentials]
2009-06-18 12:24:37,285 INFO [RESService.authenticateUser:421] ERROR: Unable to find user = sxadmin
2009-06-18 12:25:10,239 INFO [RESMonitor.run:115] Server snotra.mirifice.com up 1 hrs, 15 mins, 58 secs
2009-06-18 12:25:18,101 INFO [NotificationEventListener$WorkerThread.run:51] Event Notification: heartbeat|http://snotra.mirifice.com/res/RESDispatcher|LISTEN|300|snotra|snotra.mirifice.com|11.4.4 from host:snotra.mirifice.com

It would suggest an LDAP issue. I have added the user sxadmin in the LDAP and Kerberos with the correct details but it does not seem to have helped.

If I disable the Kerberos authentication settings in the pam files then I can log in. Very weird. I thought it was supposed to fall back upon the local user when the Kerberos/LDAP one wasn't found. It certainly was before this morning. Odd.

Looking at other threads on this board I can see others have had the same problem but the suggested fixes to a) run the install program and re-enter the password for the Admin Console and b) 'unlock' the sxadmin and sxqueryadmin hasn't helped me.

Any clues? I am keen to start sucking over mailboxes from our POSTFIX/IMAP system but can't get into the admin console to manage them. :-(

markrich

Postby markrich » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:36 am

Okay...fresh day, fresh mind.

This morning I took another look at this problem. It seemed to me that the pam files must be at fault somehow, so I amended them and where the documentation suggests using only these two lines in the first Kerberos authentication:

auth sufficient om_krb5 use_first_pass
auth required pam_deny

I decided to use all three:

auth sufficient om_auth nullok
auth sufficient om_krb5 use_first_pass
auth required pam_deny

I was then able to log into the SAC as sxadmin, webmail, and my users can log into their webmail/imap sessions too.

I would appreciate a better understanding of what these lines do. Can someone help me there?

Marky

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:26 am

Auth sufficient means that if the module works, it's sufficient to authenticate the user. auth required means the module will fail if nothing else has succeeded.

om_krb5 authenticates against Kerberos, om_auth authenticates against the local password database. Authentication is done in sequence, so in your case the local password will take precedence over the Kerberos password. I suggest you have a look again at the example I posted on the previous page, and take the om_debug out of that.

Have a look here: http://www.snow.nl/dist/xhtmlc/ch10s04.html
Last edited by Valerion on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

markrich

Postby markrich » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:34 am

But as the only local user is sxadmin, does it really matter if the local users take precidence over the IMAP/Kerberos ones?

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:36 am

Yes, it does :) If you set a local password it won't even check the Kerberos one. And with null_ok, it will accept blank passwords if none is specified.

markrich

Postby markrich » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:45 am

But if I remove the first line then I cannot log in with sxadmin anymore and omldapsync ceases to work. I am very confused now.
Could I move the first line below the second so that it checks Kerberos and if sxadmin cannot be found falls back to the local account?

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:06 am

Yes, you can. That is the Kerberos 2 scheme in the default ual.remote file.

markrich

Postby markrich » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:41 am

Okay. All now seems fine.

I appreciate and thank you for all your helpful suggestions.

Server is now working; users and admin can log in. Now all I need to do is secure IMAP, POP and SMTP with SSL and we're away.

Thank you for your help!

Marky

Return to “Installation”