Receiving emails to multiple domains

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

elliot01

Receiving emails to multiple domains

Postby elliot01 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Hello,

I am attempting to trial Scalix (migrating from a postfix system).

I have multiple domains (around 10) in the current postfix setup (not originally installed or setup by me - I know little about Postfix). I am trying to simulate this in Scalix, to see how it compares.

I'll call my existing domains domain1.co.uk, domain2.co.uk etc for the sake of example.

Basically, in Postfix under its current configuration, if I create a user called joe.bloggs, he will receive email to his single account if email is sent to joe.bloggs@domain1.co.uk or joe.bloggs@domain2.co.uk or joe.bloggs@domain3.co.uk etc.

In Scalix, I am just using subdomains for testing, so I have created scalix1.domain1.co.uk and scalix2.domain1.co.uk.

Would someone be kind enough to describe how exactly I can set Scalix up similarly to my current Postfix system? Ie: So I can instruct Scalix to auto-forward any mail destined for scalix2.domain1.co.uk to scalix1.domain1.co.uk without having to create a rule for every user, for every domain?

I also looked at @Mail recently, which seemed to support a similar feature, so I would expect Scalix to be able to do it too.

I'm sure it's with the mail nodes or mail domain setup but I am getting confused! I have tried adding 2 nodes within Scalix, named scalix1 and scalix2 but it seems they have their own unique user lists.

Thanks all

Elliot
CentOS v5.3, Scalix v11.4.6 Community Edition, 300+ users

jangi

Re: Receiving emails to multiple domains

Postby jangi » Wed May 06, 2009 1:54 pm

As far as I know each user would need two email addresses associated with them for the email to be delivered. That being said, you could have a posfix/sendmail incoming gateway that was configured to do exactly what you want. I'm not familiar enough with either to tell you how though.

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Thu May 07, 2009 1:54 am

Yes, the easiest way is to do rewriting on the frontend. You can even use your current Postfix setup for this, just have it change the domain, and forward it onwards to the Scalix box. Alternatively you can create multiple email addresses for a user on Scalix, but that may be a bit intensive for larger sites.

elliot01

Postby elliot01 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:08 am

Damn, that's a shame.

The whole reason we are trialling Scalix/@tmail is because our Postfix server is on its last legs with multiple lockups per day, so I can't rely on this or include it in the project, and having to invest in two servers (ie: one new Postfix, one Scalix to achieve what we want) wouldn't go down well.

Overall we operate about 10 domains, with around 1000 unique email addresses (roughly 300 accounts), but if we had to create separate addresses for people who want user.name@eachdomain.co.uk I guess we'd be looking at around 5000-ish unique email addresses.

Unfortunately, I think "rewriting on the frontend" is way out of my league, so it's maybe back to the drawing board :roll:

Thanks for the input guys.
CentOS v5.3, Scalix v11.4.6 Community Edition, 300+ users

LeslieW
Scalix
Scalix

Postby LeslieW » Thu May 07, 2009 9:16 am

If your email addresses are fairly consistent and predictable, you could write a script that would populate the multiple addresses in Scalix.

Basically, if you currently have:
joe.bloggs@domain1.co.uk
john.doe@domain1.co.uk
<...>

and you need everyone at domain1.co.uk to also have a domain2.co.uk and domain3.co.uk addresses, you'd write a script to:

omshowu -m <whatever> (use the mailnode associated with the domain1.co.uk addresses)
Pull out their user name and internet address from the results
then for each user:
ommodu -o "user name/mailnode" -n "user name/mailnode/ia=email.address@domain1.co.uk=email.address@domain2.co.uk=email.address@domain3.co.uk"

Return to “Installation”