Windows Connector for Evolution

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

flyred77

Windows Connector for Evolution

Postby flyred77 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:49 pm

I noticed a few older post related to the fact that there is no actual Windows connector for Evolution. Is that still the case? What is the expectation then to use Evolution. Does one still have to compile code themselves? What about Thunderbird? I haven't looked at it in a while, but I want my calendar, tasks, contacts etc. Is there a connector for Thunderbird? I work for myself from home and wanted to move away from MS apps.

However, my OS is still Windows and so is the rest of my family.

Any input or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

guzi
Scalix
Scalix

Re: Windows Connector for Evolution

Postby guzi » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:15 pm

Hello,
Scalix provides source code for "Scalix connect for Evolution" . You need to compile the code . You can follow the procedure given at,

http://www.scalix.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... _Connector

The steps are starightforward and easy to follow .

There is no connector for Thunderbird.
Scalix 11.3 has introduced support for CalDAV-enabled calendaring clients.
You can use 'Lightning' which is an addon application providing a calendar interface for Thunderbird and supporting CalDav.
This would enable you to access your calendaring/scheduling information remotely.

http://www.scalix.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... -01-CALDAV

LeslieW
Scalix
Scalix

Re: Windows Connector for Evolution

Postby LeslieW » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:37 am

guzi,

The connector compiles on *nix but the OP needs a solution for a Windows environment.

flyred, if you don't need groupware capability (public folders, invite others to meetings, do free/busy lookup) then Evolution works fine as a regular IMAP client. You still have your personal contacts, your personal calendar, and I believe you can even access the system address book by adding it as an LDAP directory service. I feel I should add a disclaimer though saying I use Evolution on Ubuntu so it *may* be different on Windows.

If you need groupware capability then why not use SWA in a Firefox or IE browser?

Return to “Installation”