Scalix appears to listen on port 8080 and no access to SAC

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

pinnks

Scalix appears to listen on port 8080 and no access to SAC

Postby pinnks » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:55 pm

Sorry, this is a bit long but I hope it gives enough info for someone to help me.

I have been running the Community Edition with OpenSuse for a couple of years and recently upgraded to OpenSuse 11 and Scalix 11.4. This caused a few problems initially but now seems reasonably stable. I count myself still very much a beginner when it comes to Linux and Scalix and tend to rely on the Suse GUI to get from A-to-B, though with good guidance I am getting a little more confident in the command line environment...

I have 5 domains and use Scalix to collect mail for each (each member of the family). I had also been running (on Suse 10.1) virtual hosts to allow each domain to host a website with success so that I had www.domain1.com, www.domain2.com etc and I thought I had recreated that in Suse 11 but am now not sure.

The other day I purchased another domain and popped it into Scalix without problems. I then set-up a basic web page and went into YAST HTTP Server to add the virtual host to allow me to publish that simple web page AND OH BOY THE FUN BEGAN...

Too many hours later with much head banging and head scratching I managed to get to the point where nothing seemed to work - SAC and Webmail gave me Error 404 and Apache2 would not start. The HTTP service in YAST crashed every time as it could not find /srv/www/htdocs/sis and I read somewhere that that is a Scalix issue. Don't ask me quite what I did as it was one of those iterative processes ending in disaster...

I think Scalix was still running with connectivity through Outlook but don't quote me. It is certainly back up and running in that mode now.

I read somehwere that the problems were "caused" by the fact that Scalix gets confused if there is a webserver and Scalix on the same computer but could not understand the suggested remedy. I also assume this must be a new issue because it never caused me problems in the past but perhaps that was a fluke.

Anyway, I decided to start from a blank sheet and uninstalled Scalix - retaining message store, database and indexing - and uninstalled Apache2 and the HTTP service in YAST. After a number of attempts I managed to reinstall the non-Scalix parts again and configured them.

So far so good (almost) - 6 virtual hosts defined and 6 homepages accessible. This time each relevant to the domain names so that I could check all was well.

However, I may have missed something in setting up virtual hosts in YAST because I do not seem to have a default host to fall back on if something other than the defined virtual hosts is typed in, i.e. if I type in www.domain1.com I get the index page for that site; if I type in only Domain1.com, or 192.168.1.2 (IP addy of the server) I always get the same other index page, say domain3.com's, displayed whereas I would expect the default "IT works!" page. Can't see what I have done wrong here but might be relevant. The other oddity here is that in YAST HTTP Server I do not appear to be able to point the virtual hosts at HTTP headers for more than one domain - I then get the message that the IP address is already in use (Or similar wording)

I then turned back to Scalix and did a full install. The server is called "mail" and the FQDN is "mail.domain1.com". This is as it has always been and historically I have accessed SAC and webmail with http://domain1.com/sac etc. Typing that now gives me "Object not found!" Error 404.

If memory serves at some point on the decreasing circle to disaster I did have access to SAC etc but only if I installed Scalix from scratch without defining virtual hosts in YAST. To get it I typed http://domain1.com/sac as usual. Go then into YAST and define the virtual hosts and SAC etc are no longer accessible.

The other new "feature" that might be relevant is that once Scalix has been installed, running YAST HTTP Service throws a warning message to the effect that the YAST conf file for Apache has been manaully changed (presumably by Scalix) and changes may be lost, or words to that effect. Press continue and once can confisure hosts; press cancel and the programme ends. Relevant?

I posted the above (plus a little other text) elsewhere on this forum a couple of weeks ago as a reply to what looked like a similar thread (VirtualHost in combination with Scalix) but nobody has responded - is this really that difficult for the experts amongst you?

Today I had an idea and tried pointing port 8080 at the Scalix box. I now have what seems to be normal /webmail access but /sac is still an issue.

http://domain1.com/sac pops up the login window and when I enter sxadmin and password, check the non-https box and login (as usual) I get "Could not fetch configuration information".

I have searched this forum again wiothout great success but have followed advice found around that message and checked that the password on sxadmin is correct. Also, if I use an incorrect password then the error message tells me that.

2 questions:
1. Why do I suddently need to use port 8080?
2. Even on port 8080, why can I not access SAC?

I hope somebody help me...

pinnks

Postby pinnks » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:55 pm

I have found a partial solution to this issue that has allowed me to get into SAC.

I found a suggestion in the forum to look in

Code: Select all

/var/opt/scalix/res/config/res.properties

and set

res.tomcat.tcp.port=8080

From the previous res.tomcat.tcp.port=

Then restart tomcat

/etc/init.d/scalix-tomcat restart

This at least gives access to SAC on http://domain1.com:8080/sac but I am still none the wiser as to why I suddenly need to use 8080.

Any help gratefully received...

pinnks

Postby pinnks » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:28 am

A lot of folk are taking a look at this but presumably nobody has a solution yet. Can any of the Scalix contributors not add their thoughts?

ruth_schell

Postby ruth_schell » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:28 am

hi pinnks,

using port 8080 means that you connect to the scalix-tomcat directly, not via the apache webserver.

to be able to access scalix via standard port (80) you have to connect apache to scalix-tomcat so apache forwards requests for scalix to scalix-tomcat. this is done by setting up a tomcat-connector.

take a look at /etc/opt/scalix-tomcat/connector/ajp/ and /etc/opt/scalix-tomcat/connector/jk/
you should find anything like instance-NN.conf. something probably is screwed up here.

http://www.scalix.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... Tos/Apache might help as a reference point, though being written for an older scalix/oss version.

good luck.

Return to “Installation”