Fresh Install Few Noob Questions,

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

exilewolf

Fresh Install Few Noob Questions,

Postby exilewolf » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:25 am

howdy folks!

well I am looking at using scalix to replace my windows based email server. But I am new to linux and such, now I have chosen to go with CentOS 5.2 as my base and have done a trial run intall of it and scalix and it all seemed to work fine.

the questions I have tho are as follows, and please keep in mind noob :D

1. Is scalix secure ? The last email server I was running did more or less everthing I needed from antivirus spam and stoped relaying of mail from unknowens etc.

2. I noticed there where some howto's for scalix for many things anti virus etc what would you recoment I look at ? I did try one.. But it broke the whole system and I could not seem to work out the issue So I decided to start afresh. I think it was.. (amavisd-new)

3. also all out going email that is sent needs to be relayed through another smpt server. is this easy to do ?

4. Is there anything else that I should consider with my new server?

Thanks for your help in advance and I look foward to reading your ideas etc.

babytux

Re: Fresh Install Few Noob Questions,

Postby babytux » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:17 am

exilewolf wrote:howdy folks!

well I am looking at using scalix to replace my windows based email server. But I am new to linux and such, now I have chosen to go with CentOS 5.2 as my base and have done a trial run intall of it and scalix and it all seemed to work fine.

the questions I have tho are as follows, and please keep in mind noob :D

1. Is scalix secure ? The last email server I was running did more or less everthing I needed from antivirus spam and stoped relaying of mail from unknowens etc.

As scalix is using flat file system on Linux. so it's secure. You need to configure anti-spam software and smptd.cfg file for proper relaying of mails.

2. I noticed there where some howto's for scalix for many things anti virus etc what would you recoment I look at ? I did try one.. But it broke the whole system and I could not seem to work out the issue So I decided to start afresh. I think it was.. (amavisd-new)

3. also all out going email that is sent needs to be relayed through another smpt server. is this easy to do ?
I have never tried out

4. Is there anything else that I should consider with my new server?
Backup of server.

Thanks for your help in advance and I look foward to reading your ideas etc.
Babytux

sg

Postby sg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:32 am

Installing Scalix on CentOS 5.2 is a good choice.

Sending out the Messages over an other smarthost isn't difficult. You need to configure the smarthost in sendmail, as scalix is sending outbound messages via sendmail. the config is to be found under /etc/mail

Just put the Line:

Code: Select all

define(`SMART_HOST', `your.smarthost.tld')dnl

into /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and generate sendmail.cf with executing make inside /etc/mail.

If you wan't to do Anti Spam you have the choice either to buy scalix with the Spam Protection Add-On or to use something like mimedefang, which you can integrate via Milter. We're using our mail-relays for anti-spam and the mail-relay will then forward the message to the scalix server.

Return to “Installation”