[resolved] migration issue (tomcat) while moving from 11.1

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

afassl

[resolved] migration issue (tomcat) while moving from 11.1

Postby afassl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Did some research within the scalix forum, and so far this repository did help me with many, many issues. Thanks alot for that.

Now I'm a little bit stuck with this:

Old Server: 11.1 on FC5
New Server: 11.4 on CentOS 5.2

Following the advises I did this:
- Install 11.4 on new server
- Shutdown on both (old and new) server
- Rsyncing /var/opt/scalix from old to new
- Running ompatchom on new server
- restarted Services on new server

Mailstore and access via Imap works fine now. But I've got problems with the tomcat apps, they are still from release 11.1.

If I now reinstall tomcat services, this won't cure the problem.

Any hint/advise?

Thanks in advance

Andreas
Last edited by afassl on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:28 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure that the forum posts would say change one thing at a time, rather than importing an 11.1 message store to an 11.4 server on a different OS, but anyway...

What happens when you reinstall tomcat? If tomcat's the problem, then that's where you should start. Did you change the IP address and hostname while you did this too?

afassl

Upgrade Issue

Postby afassl » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:33 am

Thanks for your answer. I agree, it is not advisable to upgrade both Scalix version and OS. But due to the available packages - you have to.

- NO scalix 11.4 for Fedora5
- No scalix 11.1 for CentOS5

Catch 22.

Anyway. I'm keeping the old name, but do change the IP-address. Anything works fine. Only the migration to the new tomcat release fails.

1) I'm doing a new 11.4 installation on the new server.
2) Shutting down this installation, replicate /var/opt/scalix (the "live" data) from the old server to the new one
3) doing a "ompatchom" run will remove any issues related with 11.1 and 11.4, will patch all scripts with the new IP-address
4) startup - fine
but the tomcat installation (especially the SAC wars) are within the /var/opt/scalix tree.
So they have to be reinstalled, I guess.
But if I do so, I can't connect with my old credentials. Looks like the tomcat reinstallation initializes the database entries.
Any hint?

Best regards, thanks in advance

Andreas

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:26 am

Actually ... This is COMPLETELY unsupported and you do it at your own risk. However, you can in Scalix 11.x change the /etc/redhat-release file to reflect the same version of RHEL, then Scalix will install fine. You can then restore the file and upgrade to Scalix 11.4.3. This is documented in the forum if you search posts of quite a while back.

To fix tomcat, you can uninstall tomcat, delete the directory it's in and re-install it, which should make it functional. I would recommend you uninstall everything except for Scalix Server, clean them out, then re-install them. You will of course need to recreate the indexes if you do this, which will take time.

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:22 pm

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby les » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Valerion wrote:Actually ... This is COMPLETELY unsupported and you do it at your own risk. However, you can in Scalix 11.x change the /etc/redhat-release file to reflect the same version of RHEL, then Scalix will install fine. You can then restore the file and upgrade to Scalix 11.4.3. This is documented in the forum if you search posts of quite a while back.

To fix tomcat, you can uninstall tomcat, delete the directory it's in and re-install it, which should make it functional. I would recommend you uninstall everything except for Scalix Server, clean them out, then re-install them. You will of course need to recreate the indexes if you do this, which will take time.

When migrating it is always best to match the version first before upgrading. You will need 11.1.0 for rhel5 and you can run the installer after unpacking it with....

./scalix-installer --override=rhel5

The following link should still work, If not ask Scalix directly to make available a link for the downloads archive section so you can download this version.

http://downloads.scalix.com/.community/ ... -intel.tgz

1. install 11.1.0 on centos 5.2.
2. shutdown scalix on 5.2.
3. move /var/opt/scalix/xx /var/opt/scalix/xx.virgin
4. rsync /var/opt/scalix from fedora.
remember also that tomcat configuration files (virtual hosts) are stored in /etc/opt/scalix-tomcat. Compare what you've got on the old system to the new and match it up. Backup the virgin installation of that directory (/etc/opt) also.
5. start scalix.
6. check and fix permissions if necessary. The scalix uid and gid need to be matched up with what they were on the old system. If not you need to reset permissions.
omcheck -i -s > omcheck.i.sh
sh ./omcheck.i.sh
omcheck -d -s > omcheck.d.sh
sh ./omcheck.d.sh
7. ompatchom.
8. your hostname should be identical.
9. if you've changed ip's follow the article from the link that schmoe90 posted.

Then you should be up and running.

If that all works then upgrade as normal to 11.4.3. If not, try running a reconfigure from the installer.

Hope that helps.
Regards,

Les Stott

afassl

You made my day :-)

Postby afassl » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:44 am

Hi,

perfect, this was what I was looking for - the 11.1 image for CentOS5.2.
Some minor change:
6b) shutdown scalix
7.) ompatchom (complains about the running instance)
8) startup scalix - fine

Will test this again, tomorrow the old server will be removed from the net. Very close. Phew!

Thanks again for your kind help,

best regards

Andreas

afassl

migration to new server done

Postby afassl » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:55 am

Ok, thanks alot to all of you.

Anything just worked as described. And I'm now have got the proof for the backup concept. And continous rsyncing does work. So I've got a mail server downtime (after setting the TTL value on the DNS-record to a very short time) of about 20 minutes.
Perfect!!!

Best regards

Andreas

Return to “Installation”