Can't reinstall Tomcat - what can I do ?

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

ph1949rst

Can't reinstall Tomcat - what can I do ?

Postby ph1949rst » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:52 am

Running Scalix 11.4.3 on OpenSUSE 11.0.
I am having an 'internal Java error' from Tomcat when I try to send an email from an api client. I decided to uninstall/reinstall Tomcat, but when I run the GUI installer the Tomcat line is greyed out - it's the only component that I can't reinstall this way. Why is this, and what else can I do ?
Can I do this from the command line ?
Or do I have to uninstall the whole of Scalix ?

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:28 pm

Try the command line installer, scalix-installer

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:20 am

You should also uninstall all the components that depends on tomcat. IIRC that's almost everything. Management Services, Management Agent, SWA, Indexer, etc. All these creates configurations inside tomcat that will get lost when it's re-installed. Scalix Server and PostgreSQL are not affected by this, though, they are seperate from tomcat.

Select likely packages, and if you select all of the tomcat ones tomcat will become selectable as well.

smpoole7

Postby smpoole7 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:09 am

What Valerion said. Use the GUI installer, but uncheck everything that depends on Scalix-Tomcat. Once those are unchecked, you can uninstall Tomcat as well.

Whatever you do, DON'T try to manually uninstall it yourself. I made that mistake a while back and regretted it. The RPM database got out of sync and nothing I tried would repair it. (This was after a couple of hours of Google searches and trying everything that sounded reasonable, too.)

I finally ended up just reinstalling both the OS and Scalix ... from scratch.

Return to “Installation”