SCALIX on Fedora 10 running on an old G4/400? Does it work?

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

DieTa

SCALIX on Fedora 10 running on an old G4/400? Does it work?

Postby DieTa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:27 am

Hi guys,

since I've tried SCALIX a few months ago the first time, I'm really falling in love with the Commercial Edition. Unfortunally, I couldn't use it in a nice manner yet. The reason is, that I need to use my main fileserver based on Windows Server (easily explained: it has 3x 1TB disks, 1 and 2 are in a RAID1, 3 is the backup drive).

So, I've two old machines laying around here. One is an old Pentium III which can use up to 512MB RAM (cheap old Medion board) and the CPU has 1GHz.
The other old machine is a nice PowerMac G4 Sawtooth, which is running at 400MHz and can use up to 1GB of RAM, which I already have here, ready to be used.

The question I ask myself (and now also to you) is: Does it make sense to set up a SCALIX server (Community Edition) on of those computers? The one has very minimal RAM, the other very minimal CPU speed.

I thought about using Fedora 10 as basic system on the Mac (since it is still available in a current version for PPC architecture) or Cent OS 5 on the i386 PC.

I also thought about running it on my fileserver in VMWare Server (it's an AMD64 EE 2.1GHz CPU with 4GB of RAM and a Debian running on another VM), but I'm not sure if it's a real good idea to put a mailserver into a VM.

Comments and ideas are very appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Ciao
Dennis

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:42 am

Scalix is only compiled for i386, so I doubt it'll work on PPC. CentOS is a good choice.

As for hardware - you are going to want at least 1GB of memory, at the absolute minimum. CPU power doesn't matter as much, though.

DieTa

Postby DieTa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:26 am

Hi Valerion,

thanks for your super-fast reply. Ok - then I'll have to go for another mainboard. Thanks!

Return to “Installation”