Install Scalix on OpenSUSE 11.1

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

bfrawley

Install Scalix on OpenSUSE 11.1

Postby bfrawley » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:27 am

Is there anyway to bypass the version check on the Scalix installer? I just built a openSUSE 11.1 VM and wanted to install Scalix for testing. When I go to install it i get an error saying that version 11.1 is unsupported and the installer quits. Is there anyway to bypass the version checker or fake the openSUSE version or do i need to build a new VM with 11.0?

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:36 pm

Well, you could do a manual install...

kanderson

Postby kanderson » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:37 pm

Seriously.

CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise, or Suse Enterprise.

You will regret installing to any other distro.

Kev.

jhinrichs

Postby jhinrichs » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:51 am

I strongly recommend CentOS (if you are looking for a free OS), too. But if you prefer SuSE you could either try the

Code: Select all

--override-release=suse110
(or similar) option with the scalix installer or install the SuSERelease-RPM of the 11.0 (possible side-effects).

smpoole7

Postby smpoole7 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:12 pm

kanderson wrote:Seriously.

CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise, or Suse Enterprise.

You will regret installing to any other distro.

Kev.

Kev, I've seen you make that statement before in this forum. I agree fully that these distros would be better. I LOVE CentOS myself.

But I personally think that warning is too dire. We ran a perfectly-functional, quite reliable Scalix 11.4.1 installation for almost 2 years on Opensuse 10.2.

Do I recommend these "enterprise" distros? Of course. But would I *regret* using Opensuse or Fedora? I think that's too strong. I realize this is a matter of opinion and I deeply respect yours, but I felt like I had to say that.

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:09 am

Your problem (as always) is libraries. Scalix is compiled against various system libraries and if they are not the same versions as Scalix was expecting, things can go horribly wrong, with no hint as to the real problem. And yes, been there, done that, got screamed at.

The risks are of course yours to take. But in my opinion, after spending days doing a 15-minute upgrade because the underlying OS was so heavily customized you couldn't just do a OS upgrade, you start to appreciate using another distro.

And to be fair, Scalix's website lists Fedora and OSS as "testing only", not for production.

smpoole7

Postby smpoole7 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:10 am

I worded that carefully for several reasons. First, because I do deeply respect Kev and you other long-time Scalix wizards. You've all helped me out with my setup. I basically had to take over all of our servers after my predecessor moved on to a new job. I hit the ground running and places like this forum have been a big help.

But another reason that I was careful in what I said was because I didn't want to ignite a flame war over distros. :)

All I can relate is our experience. I don't know how close Suse Enterprise is to the codebase for Opensuse. I especially don't know how close Fedora is to RHEL. I do know that we had issues with Fedora (major ones). We have had none with Opensuse. For the record, my predecessor moved our mail system from RHEL to Opensuse because he considered it an ideal choice, especially on the "bang-for-buck" metric. Our company Web servers have run on Opensuse for years with no issues well -- another case of deliberately moving from RHEL to Opensuse after careful consideration.

(I'm no slacker, and I'm certainly not a noob, but my predecessor, a rambunctious thundergeek named Ed, was a true gunslingin' propeller head who started out with Slackware back in the early days, so I value his opinion, too. Deeply.)

I went with CentOS for our Scalix installation because of the specific recommendations here that I do so. CentOS is rock-solid and stable, and I like it a lot. It is NOT as easy to config as Opensuse, but then, that's not something that you normally do every day with a mail server. You generally set those up and let 'em run.

Just my opinion, and worth precisely what you pay for it.

Return to “Installation”