Scalix, SpamAssassin on OpenSuSE (maybe Procmail)

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

tonysu

Scalix, SpamAssassin on OpenSuSE (maybe Procmail)

Postby tonysu » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:21 am

Man, I'm spending a lot more time having to dig into this stuff than I ever intended in the first place, and I'm also finding that available documentation just isn't sufficient.

So given the lack of clear instructions I'm at least hoping that someone can provide some foundation concepts to at least be pointed in the right direction.

First, some basic flow...

Inbound mail arrives at Sendmail, which if no other options are configured normally should hand the mail off to Scalix.

When mail is to be scanned for spam or viruses though, unless the mail can be inspected within Sendmail (eg a socket type connection), Sendmail should instead be expected to re-direct mail to another destination for scanning.

In my past experience, SpamAssassin didn't have "socket" capabilities, it was only able to scan mail objects in a target folder. So, first question... Has anything changed? I'm seeing Procmail and Mailscan as possible means of enabling some kind of socket connection? It would surely be so much more efficient to be able to scan streaming data rather than actual file objects.

This relates to some further discovery, the Scalix Wiki describes a method that requires spamass-milter, which does not exist in SuSE. I found one other previous post to these forums where someone else also discovered this and determined that spamd is supposed to provide the same type of functionality... But what spamd is I have yet to discover... Is it an actual module (I doubt since I can't find it)? Is it a process? Is it already installed as part of another application (Again, I have yet to find it)?

Also, I have discovered that for at least a couple years now SuSE also implements a critical configuration file not mentioned anywhere in the Scalix Wiki... the Sendmail M4 confiuration. One of the options that can be set is to provide a socket or delivery to Procmail, but I'm still unsure whether this is a setting I should use and what the consequences are... If Procmail is given access, is it done "intelligently" whereby it's understood after scanning the mail is still delivered to Scalix without further configuration somewhere.

My apologies for the bit of rambling, but it reflects the confusion I'm feeling and need for some basic guidance.

TIA.

tonysu

Postby tonysu » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:49 am

Made a little progress...
Found some useful info in a Wiki I had overlooked... Had to read further down the page at

http://www.scalix.com/wiki/index.php?title=HowTos/SpamAssassin

But, am still stuck on the fact that the last version of spamass-milter on SuSE was a very long time ago. But, nothing for SuSE 11. Checked RPMfind, the SuSE repos, the SuSE Build Service... nothing.

And, unfortunately it looks like despite what I thought was posted in the earlier Forum post, after finding spamd (etc/init.d/spamd) and configuring the M4 config file it looks like the error classicly indicates a missing spamass-milter.

Am considering building from source, but only if I can locate suitable source. Any other ideas?

Return to “Installation”