ERROR - Administration(Scalix Admin C)

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

smpoole7

ERROR - Administration(Scalix Admin C)

Postby smpoole7 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:29 pm

... it says [SYS 2] No such file or directory

.. but no filename is listed. Any ideas how to resolve this?

We can receive email from the server, but cannot send. We cannot log in to SAC or Webmail, either. But if I send a message through some other ISP to a good email address on our Scalix server, it makes it through the Barracuda Spam Firewall, into Scalix, and gets delivered when we fetch mail in a Thunderbird client.

We've had a very busy day. We accidentally deleted the mailstore (long story and don't ask ... whimper). We restored from a good copy, have had a TIME getting all of the permissions set. This is the only error remaining. omstat -a shows everyone running, Local Client and Remote Client services show "Enabled."

Any ideas?

smpoole7

One Other Clue ... ?

Postby smpoole7 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:31 pm

When we try to send mail with a Thunderbird client, it repeatedly asks for the password. It acts as though we're giving the wrong password. We can't send mail.

But as I said, if we send mail into Scalix from elsewhere, we can *fetch* it just fine.

smpoole7

Yet One More Clue ...

Postby smpoole7 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:44 am

We deleted all of the Tomcat stuff and reinstalled it. Now SAC works, but we still can't log in with Webmail. We get "invalid username or password." We CAN log in with the same username and password to SAC (if the user has admin privileges, of course).

We've been searching this forum all night and have tried all of the suggestions there, including using omreset (in various ways, as suggested). Of course, regarding the permissions issues, we ran omcheck at least three times, executing the scripts each time. Now we can run omcheck and it comes up clean. Just to be complete, we also ran ompatchom, even though I didn't see a specific recommendation on that for a restore. It reported no errors.

We're at loggerheads. We can receive email via remote clients. We cannot send via remote clients. We can't log into the SWA, but we *can* login to SAC.

One clue comes from the /var/log/mail.err file; there's obviously an LDAP issue. The two errors that we keep getting are:

Error getting LDAP results in map ldapsx: Unknown error 325
SYSERR(root): ldap_init/ldap_bind failed to localhost in map ldapsx: Unknown error 325

We've gone through all of the config files that we know of with a fine toothed comb.

We're headed home to get some rest. Mail is still down. :cry:

smpoole7

SOLVED!

Postby smpoole7 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:51 pm

OK, there are a lot of posts in this forum from people who try to

-- restore from a backup of /var/opt/scalix/[mailstore]
-- migrate that mailstore to a new server

To all of these people: Be warned that omcheck has some serious flaws. It is helpful, but you CANNOT assume that everything is OK just because it gives a "clean" run.

In our case, omcheck kept ignoring the fact that /var/opt/scalix/XX/s/dir had the wrong owner. I found the problem by carefully, patiently trying different things and then checking the logs each time to get clues. After trying a failed webmail access, I immediately ran "omshowlog" to get the most recent messages and found a "file access error" in there.

But we're working again! Thank the Lord ... :shock:

For the record, we are running 11.4.1 on Opensuse 10.2.

andrboot

Postby andrboot » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:07 am

Hi;

What is the permissions suppose to be? i have root:root :|

smpoole7

Postby smpoole7 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:38 am

At a root prompt,

chown -R scalix.scalix /var/opt/scalix/xx/s

... where "xx" is your mailstore directory. The entire "s" directory (and all subdirectories) needs to be owned by Scalix.

Return to “Installation”