Install Failure Scalix 11.4.2.2538 on SuSE 11

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

tonysu

Install Failure Scalix 11.4.2.2538 on SuSE 11

Postby tonysu » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:48 am

OS SuSE11 fully patched, brand new install
Scalix Downloaded just today

Install proceeds successfully until the screen creating the new Admin User, then clicking "Forward" displays a screen saying the install is exiting and to view the dump file.

After looking around (because the error didn't say what error file to look for), I'm looking at "ominstall.Olog" which contains the following

Code: Select all

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.43136: line 31: /etc/init.d/scalix: No such file or directory
Update man config: MANDATORY_MANPATH  /opt/scalix/share/man
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.80885: line 31: /etc/init.d/scalix: No such file or directory
Update man config: MANDATORY_MANPATH  /opt/scalix/share/man
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.4107: line 31: /etc/init.d/scalix: No such file or directory

the file /etc/init.d/scalix exists with read and executable permissions.

Does anyone know what "Update man config: MANDATORY_MANPATH" is supposed to mean,and if this can be manually configured perhaps just prior to clicking on the "Forward" button that causes the install to fail?

BTW - Maybe a small thing, but IMO would be good if the verifications at the beginning not only looked for installed components but whether services like Apache and Postgressql are actively running or not.

tonysu

Postby tonysu » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:47 am

A question and a possible followup...

Hoping someone can confirm whether the MANDATORY_MANPATH is needed only for the Installation and isn't required for Production.

If that is the case, I've been able to re-run the Install, verifying that Scalix objects have been fully installed but components need to be configured.

After finishing the configuring,
3 Scalix services are installed but not started. Invoking the init.d command in the Scalix Installation Guide does not work, I instead manually configuring the servies to start and started the services using Yast.

Unfortunately, the next recommended steps verifying installation do not seem to return desired results...

- Verified Apache service is running and responsive but that's no surprise because I installed and started the service outside of the Scalix install.
    - Tried to verify Tomcat was running but documentation doesn't describe what to expect but instead started the service using Yast
    - Opened a web browser, but no test page was created (per the Scalix Guide) so only saw an Apache HTTP error which in a way verified Apache was running
    - Opened the web browser to the webmail virtual directory, but again only saw a "page not found" error rather than the Scalix webmail default login page.

So at least minimally it looks like the webpages were not installed, and it's uncertain whether Tomcat was properly installed as well (although maybe).

I also assume at this point that no User and Mailbox has been created, so it's not yet possible to test Scalix non-web functionality.

tonysu

Postby tonysu » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:46 am

Bump.

After successfully installing and configuring on CentOS, I'm taking another look at my attempt on OpenSuSE 11.

With foreknowlege I installed the necessary "compat" package, configured networking properly and installed <only> Java 1.5 v16 from the SuSE repository.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm still looking at the same problem... At the same point after installing all the packages, the Scalix install crashes. The system and Scalix install logs report only the MAN PATH can't point to /etc/init.d/scalix (error: no such file or directory) which I've already mentioned exists with full read permissions.

Additionally,
- When I inspect System Services, no services installed by the Installer are running. I attempted to manually start the services and all started except for "scalix-tomcat" which returns "due to an unspecified error." I rebooted and both "scalix-tomcat" and "scalix-postgres" fail "due to an unspecified error."
- I attempted again to re-run the installer, the Installer verifies all components are installed so I run configuration, but the two critical services still fail to start.

I read that at least one other person in this Forum seems to have somewho successfully installed this past couple weeks, sure would like to know his recipe...

Sparcle

Postby Sparcle » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:19 pm

Hi !
I have EXACTLY the same problem. The same, brand-new system, the same errors in log file. If you get any solution - please - post it here... :)

LeslieW
Scalix
Scalix

Postby LeslieW » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:59 pm

ominstall.Olog is an "old" log file and is, by definition, out of date and not relevant to your last installation attempt.

When you first start the scalix-installer program from the command line it will tell you something like:

# ./scalix-installer

Scalix Installer - extracting archive, please wait...
Scalix Installer - starting version 11.4.0.2470...
Scalix Installer - using Python 2.4.3 (/usr/bin/python).
Scalix Installer - audit log file is /var/log/scalix-installer-20081126.log
<...>

Continue with the installation until it errors out, and then check that scalix-installer log for info on what is going wrong.

Or, check /var/log for the scalix-installer-*.log files associated with failed installation attempts and see what they say.

tonysu

Postby tonysu » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:24 pm

That last post finally provided enough information to troubleshoot.

Logfile indicated the install crashed because the FQDN of the Host wasn't all in lower case.

This is definitely a <bug> in the Scalix installation because a weird idiosynchosy of the OpenSuSE install sets up the Hostname starting with a capital letter with the rest in lower case. In all other situations this mixture of upper and lower case has no effect because all normal Internet URLs and hostname strings are case insensitive, but it looks like the Scalix install is failing because the Hostname is used to create PostgreSQL objects (which not suprisingly are case sensitive). So either the Scalix install should check for case or automatically convert the retrieved string to all lower case.

SOLUTION:
Change the Hostname to be all lower case.
You <MUST> do this by configuring the Network Device/NIC normally using YAST because by default the NIC hostname is written to the Hosts file. No reboot necessary.
Important Note!! - Editing the Hosts file either directly or using the Yast Hosts utility <is insufficient>.

Return to “Installation”