Install on OpenSuSE 11, updated docs?

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

tonysu

Install on OpenSuSE 11, updated docs?

Postby tonysu » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:14 am

Hello,
Found a post or two not that long ago which recommended installing only on older versions of OpenSuSE, but also a post which quotes the most recent doc which recommends install on OpenSuSE 11 (and the Community Download Page includes a binary specifically for OpenSuSE 11).

But, the software pre-requisites listed for SuSE doesn't seem to be current at all. It lists versions of components which are old and according to one post I found references a component which probably hasn't been necessary for over 3 years in any version of SuSE.

I'm moving forward anyway after installing anything that sort of makes sense to me (one big question in my mind is why Tomcat components aren't also software proerequisites), but am very uneasy... I anticipate depending on how well the installation script catches missing components I may either end up with a failed install hopefully with some kind of verbose explanation or a non-functioning install.

OpenSuSE 11 has been released over 5 months now, and if Scalix is going to officially support this version support documentation should be updated, and probably about time because I think docs haven't been updated since maybe SuSE 10 (both Community and SLES).

Edit: Strike the following - A late update to FF appeared, once applied solved the website problem
Also, is there a place to send info about website bugs? Using a brand new install of SuSE with FF updates, it can't get past the user info registration page to the actual download page (with the bin packages) using the default FF 3.0 Beta 5. There is no problem using IE on Windows, so I'm downloading on a Windows machine, then transferring to my SuSE.

TIA.

tonysu

Postby tonysu » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:01 am

After running through the install, it looks pretty slick. The documentation does need to be updated, but because the install seems to be written pretty well (except for the problem I'm going to post to a different thread), I'd say that even lacking up to date documentation is not as big an issue as it could be.

Return to “Installation”