Howto restore mails from 11.3 backup into 11.4 server

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

AthLux

Howto restore mails from 11.3 backup into 11.4 server

Postby AthLux » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:24 pm

Dear all,

I have had running Scalix 11.3 with CentOS 5.2.
Unfortunately 2 harddisks died and the raid5 with my server too.

Fortunately I have nightly rsync-backups of /var/opt/scalix. All what I need is in my Backup. Thus I thought anyhow.
Today I setup a new clean scalix server, 11.4.1.
Following the hint from LeslieW (viewtopic.php?t=11322) I create the user accounts with the same System Login as in my old server.
sac as well as webmail work fine.
But as soon as I copy the /var/opt/scalix/ml/s/user/g0000xx from backup to server the appropriate user can't login.
I tried also omcheck.

Code: Select all

[root@mail ~]# ommodu -o Athlux -p Password
ommodu: The user was modified successfully
[root@mail ~]# omlogon -h mail -u Athlux -p Password

connected to mail

logged in as Athlux /mail

[root@mail ~]# omlogoff
[root@mail ~]# sxmboxexp -u Athlux -a Athlux.mails
sxmboxexp : User not found

As well as sxmboxexp does not work also webmail login or IMAP login does not work.

Is it possible to restore mail data from 11.3 into scalix 11.4?
Or did I have to install a 11.3 server? Unfortunately I did not have a 11.3 setup file.
Where I can get it?

Thanks in advance
Athlux

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:48 pm

You can do this, just not in any way like the way you're doing it.

You can get the 11.3 (and older) versions at:
http://www.scalix.com/community/downloa ... rchive.php

There's a _lot_ more to a user account than the g directory, and that needs to be lined up with the g directory of the user on the old server.

Throw away what you've got, as you'll probably never get it to work.

Install 11.3, give it the same FQDN and IP as the old server. Restore /var/opt/scalix from your backup. Things should now work. If it works, upgrade to 11.4.1.

AthLux

Postby AthLux » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:29 pm

Thanks for the link.

:P It seems working!
What I do:
I have a backup of "/var/opt/scalix" from an Scalix 11.3 and lost the whole server :(

Code: Select all

install scalix 11.4

create all users in scalix/sac
  <user1>
  <user2>

omcheck -s
omcheck -i

stop scalix
stop scalix-tomcat
stop scalix-postgres

sxmboxexp -u <user1> -a user1.mails
sxmboxexp -u <user2> -a user2.mails

restore /var/opt/scalix/ml/s/user/* from my backup
restore /var/opt/scalix/ml/s/data/* from my backup

chgrp -R scalix /var/opt/scalix/ml/s/user
chgrp -R scalix /var/opt/scalix/ml/s/data

sxmboximp -u <user1> -a user1.mails
sxmboximp -u <user1> -a user1.mails

omscan -Avx -U <user1>
omscan -Avx -U <user2>

omcheck -s -d > repair
omcheck -i -d > repair

start scalix-postgres
start scalix-tomcat
start scalix

Thats all. Maybee one or another of the steps above are not necessary but it simply work.
At the end I have had some minor error messages but after some further omscan and omcheck all work.
But it is very important to create the users in the same sequence as within the old system. I did it not and user1 have get the mailstore from user2 and vice versa.
After changing of names and account informations within SAC all went fine. But I have only 2 Users. What did people with more :wink:

What directories should be backed up? Which directories must be restored into an empty scalix server?
Or is there no way but image backup?

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:40 pm

Everything you need is in /var/opt/scalix.

What you should have done, for reference:

* install Scalix
* stop Scalix
* restore /var/opt/scalix
* start Scalix
* pat self on the back for a job well done

AthLux

Postby AthLux » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 pm

Really?
Thats my first try too. But by starting scalix I get a lot of error messages about incorrect versions of something.

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:39 am

That means the mailstore backup was done when a different version of Scalix was installed. Normally ompatchom can take care of this for you.

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:54 am

I thought you were downloading the 11.3 binaries and using those?

AthLux

Postby AthLux » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:55 pm

Yes and No ;)

I had installed 11.4 because I did not have 11.3 anymore.
In this 11.4 I try to restore my 11.3 backup of /var/opt/scalix and run in a lot of troubles.

To install 11.3 is a last chance what I will do if it is not possible to restore my backup into 11.4.

I will write here if I had success or not.
Thanks

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:07 pm

In that case:

* install Scalix 11.4.1
* stop Scalix
* install Scalix 11.4.1
* start Scalix

AthLux

Postby AthLux » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:23 pm

No, ompatchom did not solve my problems :(
I can access the sac and sxmboxexp work. But I can't access the mailboxes via webmail or IMAP. User not found.
I can change the password in sac but can not delete the user.
I can create new user but they have no acces to their mailboxes too.

So I run the sxmboxexp for each user.
Deinstal scalix as well as the userdata.
Instal scalix again, create the users and run the sxmboximp.
:P

timeshell

Upgrade FC5 to CentOS 5.2 (Scalix 11.1.0-GA to 11.4.2-GA)

Postby timeshell » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:04 pm

schmoe90 wrote:In that case:

* install Scalix 11.4.1
* stop Scalix
* install Scalix 11.4.1
* start Scalix

I have tried this method in my attempt to move from Fedora 5 with Scalix 11.1.0-GA to CentOS 5.2 with Scalix 11.4.2-GA.

Reason for this is because I cannot install Scalix 11.1.0-GA on CentOS 5.2 and I cannot run the scalix-installer for Scalix 11.4.2-GA on FC5. I also cannot upgrade my FC5 to FC9 because I don't have the disk space available to do so (hence the new install using CentOS).

The main issue I have with the instructions above however is that once Scalix 11.4.2 is installed, I cannot install it again because when I run the installer it says nothing needs to be done.

What I am trying now is this: On th e FC5 machine I ran the scalix-installer for Scalix 11.1.0-GA and selected Upgrade. When it prompted for the path for the upgrade packages I pointed it to the packages for Scalix 11.4.2-GA. This allowed for the installer to apparently upgrade the packages even though they supposedly didn't support FC5. I am now backing up the /var/opt/scalix folder and will try again to copy it to an actual Scalix 11.4.2-GA installation under CentOS 5.2. Hopefully it will work per previous instructions in this thread.

timeshell

Re: Upgrade FC5 to CentOS 5.2 (Scalix 11.1.0-GA to 11.4.2-GA

Postby timeshell » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:26 pm

timeshell wrote:
schmoe90 wrote:In that case:

* install Scalix 11.4.1
* stop Scalix
* install Scalix 11.4.1
* start Scalix

I have tried this method in my attempt to move from Fedora 5 with Scalix 11.1.0-GA to CentOS 5.2 with Scalix 11.4.2-GA.

Reason for this is because I cannot install Scalix 11.1.0-GA on CentOS 5.2 and I cannot run the scalix-installer for Scalix 11.4.2-GA on FC5. I also cannot upgrade my FC5 to FC9 because I don't have the disk space available to do so (hence the new install using CentOS).

The main issue I have with the instructions above however is that once Scalix 11.4.2 is installed, I cannot install it again because when I run the installer it says nothing needs to be done.

What I am trying now is this: On th e FC5 machine I ran the scalix-installer for Scalix 11.1.0-GA and selected Upgrade. When it prompted for the path for the upgrade packages I pointed it to the packages for Scalix 11.4.2-GA. This allowed for the installer to apparently upgrade the packages even though they supposedly didn't support FC5. I am now backing up the /var/opt/scalix folder and will try again to copy it to an actual Scalix 11.4.2-GA installation under CentOS 5.2. Hopefully it will work per previous instructions in this thread.

Here's something interesting. I just discovered what I believe to be a huge problem with my upgrade. The original installation of scalix on my FC5 server set the ID of the scalix user to 101 and the scalix group to 102. However, on my CentOS server, it is setting them by default to 100 and 101 respectively. Hence, no matter how many times I've tried to get it to work it wouldn't (obviously).

Question then, what is it that assigns the ID's for the scalix user? Is in the scalix installer? If so, why is it using a different user ID now?

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:38 pm

The operating system assigns the IDs. You can use omcheck to fix most of these problems, or just change the ID.

Return to “Installation”