Query About Backup

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

propagandhi

Query About Backup

Postby propagandhi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:35 am

Howdy People,

I know about all the rsync backups of the scalix data etc, but I wanted to know if there is also a way to just backup up all the config data of a given scalix node.

To be more specific I have a bunch of scalix nodes, some of which have upwards of 400 users on them. All of these nodes are managed by one central node.

Aside from backing up all the user data, is their a way to backup the users and their aliases, groups and mail address rules etc only. Is this data stored in one particular location? I want to store additionally to my existing backups just the users and passwords etc on the system.

I hope I am being clear enough here, but please let me know if you need more info.

mikevl
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby mikevl » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:00 am

Hi

Yes. you definitly need to look at LVM backup and either Tar or Rsync the data to a backup system. Be sure to preserve permissions.

Mike

kanderson

Postby kanderson » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:44 pm

if you copy /var/opt/scalix/??/s you'll get everything you NEED to recover.

If you backup /var/opt/scalix you'll also get PostgreSQL data, which can make a recovery faster, but isn't really neccessary.

User data can ALL be grabbed if you us sxmboxexp. It'll get aliases, and stuff, but it happens on a user by user basis. The advantage here being it can happen while the server is active and running.

If you rsync the data off (hopefully using an LVM snapshot, but lots of people don't), you'll get everything at the same time.

Rsync makes a restore of the server easy. sxmboxexp makes a restore of a single user easy.

If you just need one message, use sxmboxexp, and import the backup into a new user profile temporarily, and then just pull out one message. You can pull out the message by ID, but that's often harder then just restoring the whole user archive, and dealing with it in Outlook.

Kev.

Return to “Installation”