Port 25 vs port 587

Discuss installation of Scalix software
pinnks

Port 25 vs port 587

Postby pinnks » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:06 pm

I have been running a pretty standard scalix set-up for ages as a small family mail server. The only thing I have really changed from an out-of-the-box installation is to relay my sent mail via my ISP as I am sitting behind a dynamic IP addy and some recipient servers bounced my mails. Even with this I am at the limits of my Linux and scalix knowledge...

All was well until I got a new modem/router hub from my ISP today. It will not allow port 25 (or 53 for DNS) to be forwarded. One option, which I am using as a work-around, is to set the hub to modem mode and then do your LAN/Wifi with a separate router. I have an ancient 2.4G router which is stumbling along to give that work-around and thought I would have to shell out for a more up-to-date bit of kit.

However, after much googling I am wondering whether I can make scalix listen on port 587, rather than 25 as port 587 is not blocked in the hub's port forwarding software. I have found a few threads talking about this but am confused. Can someone give me some pointers of what to change where?

Cheers

Gary

ScalixSupport
Scalix
Scalix

Re: Port 25 vs port 587

Postby ScalixSupport » Mon May 18, 2020 1:39 pm

Hello Mr Garry,

You can follow the following tricks to change port.

Turning off port 25 and port 587 activation

configured SMTP for 587 also (465 will work too). But maybe need to double-check if it will work for ActiveSync in this way.

# cat /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf
[ssmtp]
connect = localhost:587
accept = 138.204.92.222:465
[smtps]
connect = localhost:587
accept = 138.204.92.222:587
# cat /var/opt/scalix/mt/s/sys/smtpd.cfg
SUBMIT=ON
[SUBMIT]
LISTEN=localhost:587
ANONYMOUS Log_Reject ALL
Regards,
Scalix Support Team

pinnks

Re: Port 25 vs port 587

Postby pinnks » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:30 pm

Thanks - and apologies for not responding but I thought the forum had died and I would not get a reply. That is almost the case (shame, as this was always a great resource for hobbyists) but I will look at this over the next few days having recently had to rebuild my server and upgrade to 12.8.

Return to “Installation”